Question on Sublingual B-12

kinny09
on 8/5/13 9:40 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Silly question here - but how much better are sublingual B-12 absorbed than one you may chew? The reason I ask is that it's dissolving under the tongue, then you swallow the remnants. How well is it absorbed this way compared to chewing one up to the same consistency? I'm wondering if I should just outright ask for monthly injections instead...

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

poet_kelly
on 8/5/13 9:46 am - OH

Significantly better.  Since you have very little stomach acid and intrinsic factor in your pouch, you absorb very little B12 that you swallow (whether you chew it up first or not).  The sublinguals, on the other hand, get absorbed through the thin mucus membrane under the tongue.  You don't need stomach acid or intrinsic factor for that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kinny09
on 8/5/13 10:16 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Thanks Kelly! I just wasn't sure how much was actually absorbed prior to swallowing the remains of the sublingual version, ykwim? I let it dissolve until it's like a liquid and then swallow it. I have a history of B-12 malabsorption due to my years of being on metformin so my levels have never been great in that area, but now that I'm off it I hope that the levels will come back up with the sublingual.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/13 10:30 am - OH

If the sublinguals you are taking are not completely dissolving under your tongue, get a different brand because you are basically wasting what you are swallowing.  (Both the Celebrate B12s and the TwinLabs dots (MUCH cheaper) dissolve completely in short order. The BA brand that I tried, on the other hand, took FOREVER to dissolve.)

If you are  just getting impatient and swallowing whatever is still there at some point... well... stop doing that.  kiss

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kinny09
on 8/5/13 10:34 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Thanks! No not impatient lol. It's Nature Made 2500 mcg B-12 sublingual, it is still a bit gritty even after 3-4 mins. but mostly liquid at that point. I will check out the Celebrate brand!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/13 10:38 am, edited 8/5/13 10:38 am - OH

The Celebrate dissolves quickly (and I like the cherry flavor).  The TwinLabs dots are smaller (and come in a higher dose!) and dissolve even more quickly.  Under a minute.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gentlyonward
on 8/5/13 6:48 pm - St. John's, Canada
RNY on 08/17/13 with

I'm using the same and finding that I'm having the same problem... I'll likely try something else once I run out of these! :)

AnchorsAweigh
on 8/5/13 11:21 am

My SL B-12 is my favorite vitamin to take--it tastes so good! Unfortunately, I thought I was supposed to take one every day. Turns out my B-12 was super high. Guess that proves they work!

sarah_durso
on 8/5/13 11:28 am

Thanks for posting this !. I've been chewing them .

kinny09
on 8/5/13 11:32 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

That sucks! Does it not have instructions on your bottle to place under tongue/side of cheek and let dissolve for x number of mins.?

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 71 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 296 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views