Weight Gain

lovedbymany09
on 8/6/13 1:57 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

I'm 9 weeks out as of this week and I got on the scale and have gained 1 pound. What is going on? I try my best to get in 900 calories or more. It's been difficult but I do try. I don't eat sweets, fried foods or sodas. I don't cheat. I'm super confused right now. The scale stopped moving for 2 weeks and then I lost 6lbs last Monday. I weight today and I gained back 1lb. This is crazy!!

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

zlynnc
on 8/6/13 2:08 am - BEAUFORT, NC

Don't stress it, this is how it works..  Stalls, sudden drops, a pound up, slow and steady loss, another stall.  It is all part of your body adjusting.  Even when you aren't losing pounds your body is adjusting in inches.  We all went thru it.  Just stick to the rules and exercise.

Beginning weight: 284  
Surgery weight: 251
Current weight: 149

JaneJetson60
on 8/6/13 2:50 am, edited 8/6/13 3:10 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Did you eat 3500 calories worth of food?  That is what you would need to eat to gain a pound.  Your bowel movements can weigh more than that.  Research, research research about your surgery to help you along the way.  There are so many things that you will experience and weight loss can stop for weeks on end, sometimes months but that is generally down the road.  Don't panic you are fine.  Use this first 5 to 6 months to really focus on because those are the months that weight loss goes at its fastest.  After that at 9 months it slows down and even more so at a year.  You will continue to lose, but don't assume that you will have 2 years of malabsorbtion because some can stop at a year, some at 15, 18  20 months and so on.  You can do this because you already have the surgery behind you. Keep posting and let us know how you do.  Keep up the good work that you are doing every hour of the day.  Jane kiss  P.S. Is that the amount of calories they want you to have this soon after surgery?  We never counted calories, but I would have been lucky to get in 300 that first month, maybe 450 at the second month, but again that was me.  Every surgeon is different .  Just follow your surgeons plan but I think 900 is an awful lot to be eating at this point. But I am not your surgeon, so again keep working your plan.

aliciakes
on 8/6/13 3:47 am - NC
RNY on 06/10/13

We had surgery about the same time.  Mine was on 6/10.  

I hit a wall about 2 weeks ago and was not losing.  I got extremely frustrated with it myself.  I am not really sure how many calories I should be shooting for, or if I am just trying to get the protein in.  Everything my doc has given me says "Protein protein protein".  Id say I probably circle around 800 calories a day.  If I am short on protein I toss in a Premiere Protein shake to fini**** up.  My diet I try to stay atkins/paleo.  I have had alot of problems with constipation.  Generally would only "go" twice a week.  

But after 2 weeks of weight being stagnant it started to trickle down again.  I definitely thought it was going to be a faster melt, but I can SEE and FEEL the difference even if the scale is not showing it.

Surgery Date 6/10/2013

My journey - http://adventuresinwls.blogspot.com/

cajungirl
on 8/6/13 3:47 am

It happens and this probably won't be the only time you see a fluctuation.  Pauses will happen, ups and downs will happen......it's the nature of this beast we call WLS (heck it's just the nature of water weight, sodium intake, etc. for the normal population). 

The scale can be your friend or your enemy, you have to chose if it's going to drive you crazy or not and use it as the tool it CAN be toward your goals.

Hang in there!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MGTeacher
on 8/6/13 4:11 am
900 calories seems like a lot to me. I'm 7 weeks out. I was averaging 650 calories a day and my nutritionist said that seemed a little high. If course, she wants me to get at least 75 g. of protein. That's tough on 500 calories a day.
poet_kelly
on 8/6/13 4:14 am - OH

650 sounds pretty low to me, unless you are very, very sedentary.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lovedbymany09
on 8/6/13 4:44 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

Only 650 calories??? I was told I should be at least eating 1200 by now. I hit the protein with no problem. I hate shakes so I definitely eat my protein and do one shake a day. But your calorie intake should go up as you get further out. But then again, we all come from different surgeons and nutritionist.

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

PetHairMagnet
on 8/6/13 9:30 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On August 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM Pacific Time, lovedbymany09 wrote:

Only 650 calories??? I was told I should be at least eating 1200 by now. I hit the protein with no problem. I hate shakes so I definitely eat my protein and do one shake a day. But your calorie intake should go up as you get further out. But then again, we all come from different surgeons and nutritionist.

I had surgery in May and was told to stick to 800 max at this point, and I exercise a good deal. My husband is almost a year out and at 1100 a day. 1200 is what our surgeon puts you on for maintenance once you have lost all your weight. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 8/6/13 4:13 am - OH

You're retaining some water or you need to poop.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 189 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 254 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 264 views