How do you know when to stop eating?

mshapero64
on 8/11/13 10:29 am

I'm 1 week post op and on pured foods.  I'm following my dieticians instructions but seems like every "meal" is just too much food.  My pouch cramps or hurts after just 1 bite.  What should I be looking for?  I think I need to stretch it out a little bit, but how do I know when enough is enough? Am I making sense? I'm not hungry, but I know for my health I need to eat what's prescribed.

tdbull
on 8/11/13 10:35 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Unfortunately I am still pre op but what I've read we can only handle 1-2 oz at a time, and it is best to measure everything.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/11/13 10:40 am - OH

Purees aren't going to stretch your pouch.  You would have to overeat solid foods significantly on a regular basis to do that. I would let your surgeon know that you are having pain after a single bite of food.  It might just be that your pouch is ultra sensitive, but at only 1 week out, I would at least call the office and talk to a nurse or someone.

This early out you should be measuring everything to know how much to eat, following the amounts given by your surgeon and/or nutritionist.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/11/13 10:46 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Agreed! I know that times it took me 30 minutes to get that ounce or two in, but severe pain with a single bite is not a good sign.

I bought a digital scale and can weigh by ounces or by grams and I adhere to it 100%. I am 3 months out today. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

sarah_durso
on 8/11/13 10:52 am

I went to the store  ( smart and final) they have restaurant supply stuff. I  bought  2oz plastic throwaway containers. I measure my food in them .  I'm 4 weeks out.

kecldr3
on 8/11/13 11:11 am
RNY on 08/14/13

Wow, that is a really good idea:)  I may have to get these containers as well!!  Thanks for sharing!

Tonya

April M.
on 8/11/13 11:40 am
RNY on 09/26/13

My other half had her surgery on 4/11 and we went and bought these little 4oz containers at Target.  It's great to measure the food and they are reusable!!  They seal really well too!!   I plan on using them once I finally get my surgery....  :-)

http://www.target.com/p/rubbermaid-lunchblox-sauces-2-pk/-/A-14051286#prodSlot=medium_1_41&term=rubbermaid+food+storage

April

Missella20
on 8/11/13 9:33 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

When I started the puréed diet I ate 1/4 cup at a time. A couple of times I had 1/2 cup and it just seemed too much. I am 5 weeks and still eat 1/4 cup.

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

HealthyHaley
on 8/12/13 12:57 am

Hey! I'm just about 2 weeks post so I know EXACTLY how you feel right now. I'm just now able to eat a full 5.3 oz container of greek yogurt and I call that an "accomplishment" LOL Take your time and eat dime size bites. Your pouch will stretch on its own to allow more in. Remember not to drink with your meals..Wait an hour after...I can fit more food when I save the water for later. Your doctor won't expect you to finish a full protein shake. Just make sure you're getting your water in. 64 ounces. Sugar free popsicles help, too! If you're eating slow enough you should be able to tell when you're full...it's almost like pressure building up...hope this helps and good luck :)

mshapero64
on 8/12/13 4:55 am

Thanks for the help guys.  Last night I had my first attack of "dumping syndrome". My stomach still hurts today.  I'm sticking to protein shakes and crystal light today waiting for the muscle cramp to stop hurting.  Every single bite I take hurts when it goes down, but then relaxes.  Last night I had an ounce of cod and a tablespoon of steamed/mushed zucchini for dinner then went for a mile walk.  About 2 hours later I decided to have a SF popcicle.  The popcicle hit me like a MAC TRUCK.  It was worse then childbirth.  I don't know if it was too much volume, or too cold, but it hurt like hell until it decided to come back up.  Never doing that again.

Most Active
Recent Topics