Fish

Katie B.
on 8/15/13 11:16 am

I am really tired of chicken, turkey, tuna! I really want to try some type of fish, but don't know where to begin. I've tried white fish and tilapia and I didn't care for either. Do you have any suggestions for a newbie trying out fish? Maybe I'd like tilapia or white fish if I fixed it a certain way? Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dorkgirl_41
on 8/15/13 11:26 am - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

I'm not a huge fish fan. However, preop I would fix Tilapia with some chili lime seasoning (Mrs Dash has it and it's salt free), lime juice and black pepper and bake it until it flakes. It was good. Now post op I'm having trouble with fish so I haven't been able to eat it yet. You can also cook the fish along with some veggies and whatever seasonings you enjoy inside parchment packets. Just Google fish parchment packets and you'll come across a lot of recipes. Healthy and yummy. 

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

kinny09
on 8/15/13 11:28 am, edited 8/15/13 11:29 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Salmon is my favorite fish pre-op, and I still love it post-op. I just bake it with some lemon and a dab of butter. I used to do it all the time baked in terriyaki sauce and am trying to find an alternative to that, because it's soooo good.  Cod is another great option, high in protein and very low calorie. I made that last week for my family and just basically drizzled it with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and rubbed minced garlic on it, and also added some onions. I eat a lot of tuna, lean roast beef (with a little horseradish, yum!), lean turkey, 99% fat free ham, kidney beans, low fat/fat free cheese, dry roasted edamame for my 1 snack, all amazing protein choices.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

EternalEx
on 8/15/13 2:20 pm - Canada
I second this. Salmon is so easy to cook - i sometimes just sprinkle salt and pepper, top with lemon slices then wrap in foil or parchment and bake for about 20 mins. Yum!

Trout is good too, not sure about in the US but here in Ontario we have a type called Perch which is delicious.

Any lighter fish will be mild in taste so those are good places to start - cod, halibut, sole, etc.
The Salty Hag
on 8/15/13 11:38 am
RNY on 05/20/13
I found a fish in our local grocery store called Swai. It's very mild tasting and has a sweetness to it. Best of all, it is not terribly expensive.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/15/13 11:50 am - OH

I am not a big fan of most kinds of fish (except shellfish) so I like very mild flavored fish (other than tuna).  About the only kinds of fish I eat are cod, halibut, or swordfish (which has a very different texture than most fish.  All of them are very mild flavored.  I never cook swordfish at home (just order it when eating out), but the halibut and cod I just bake in foil or a covered dish with a small amount of butter, some lemon juice, and sometimes some pepper.

You might also consider crab or shrimp.  Crab goes down VERY nicely even early out.  Shrimp is a bit harder to chew down to mush (especially if it is overcooked at all, since it tends to get tough and rubbery), but still seems to sit well in most people's pouches.  I don't care for lobster or scallops, but know of a number of people *****ally liked those early out.

Loa

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JaneJetson60
on 8/15/13 12:33 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

Catben78,  I truly wish I enjoyed fish more than I do.  I prefer to get it out versus making it at home because they do such a much better job at it.  I enjoy shell fish, but as Lora said shrimp can be rubbery if over cooked.  I actually don't do alot of meat and get my protein from other sources.  I do enjoy a good steak and don't have a single problem with it, yet I cannot stand hamburger.  It's all in the texture and I just goes with whatever works for me.  Everyone can tolerate different foods so best of luck on your fish adventure!  Jane broken heart

goddessgrrl
on 8/15/13 1:18 pm - VA

When I got into the soft foods stage I ate salmon, baked for 20 minutes per inch of thickness of the fish. Oh my go**** saved my life! Didn't make my tummy hurt. I could eat a tablespoon or 2 of it. Real protein. Nice and hot. I think it's flavorful even without any seasoning except salt & pepper.

I still can't eat tuna out of the can. It just makes my tummy hurt, I don't know why. But I respect my newly-knowledgable tummy!

Also I have a friend who's a chef & she doesn't like tilapia to eat or serve. She calls it a "garbage" fish. I may have had it once pre-op & found it to be completely mediocre.

Don't be afraid to prepare fresh fish. Just make sure it's fresh (from a reputable store like Wegmans) & cook it as soon as possible after you buy it. If it smells like fi****'s not fresh & you shouldn't eat it.

Farmed catfish (most catfish you buy at the grocery store is farmed) is delicious too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

denaraye
on 8/15/13 10:28 pm - MI

I have heard that fresh white Tuna (not canned LOL) and swordfish are really good.  They compare the texture to steak and/or pork chops and they do not have that fishy taste. 

I love fish of all types.  Tilapia will take in any flavoring you use - I like a bit of a spicy kick on mine. 

I am no longer defined, by the wreckage behind!

bluesfan
on 8/15/13 10:54 pm - FL
RNY on 07/08/13

I make shrimp ****tail and it always comes out tender not rubbery.  I take the shrimp peel and de vein it.  Next bring a pot of water to a boil.  Add a little pickle ling spice, lemon juice, and salt.  Add shrimp to boiling water, when water is brought back to a boil, shrimp will have floated to the top.  Immediately drain in a calendar and cool shrimp by putting them in an ice bath to prevent further cooking.  You can't go wrong.  Enjoy !!!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 217 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 305 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 129 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?