Soft food stage

Karen Wood
on 8/16/13 4:51 am - IN

I had surgery July 31 and I have lost 16 pounds had to go to the dr office today to get protien shakes and I spoke to nutritionist and they gave me the go to soft foods! I am so excited but what all kind of food can I eat lol I would love some input

karin602
on 8/16/13 5:22 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Did the doctor's office not give you a list and amounts?  Each doctor is different but mine allows the following:

Breakfast - 1/2 c.protein - eggbeaters, 2 eggs, no-fat Greek yogurt plus 1 tsp. light margarine

Mid morning - 4 oz. protein shake with at least 10 grams whey isolate

Lunch - 1 protein - ideas 1 low fat cheese stick, 1 oz. fish or chicken (moist), 2 tblsp. reduced fat peanut butter -  plus 1/2 c. carb. - applesauce, 6 reduced fat Townhouse crackers, plain pasta, no skin potatoes (mashed), same with sweet potatoes

Mid afternoon - 4 oz. protein shake again

Dinner - 1 oz. fish or chicken plus 1/2 c. soft vegs. - canned preferred because they are soft or 1/2 c. tomato sauce, 1/2 c. carb like the pasta, potatoes, etc., 1 tsp. margarine

Evening - 4 oz. protein shake

Eat protein first.   You don't have to finish everything.  Get in 48-64 oz. water (crystal light, herbal tea, etc.) Protein shakes count towards this total.  Protein totals for the day should equal 60-80 grams.  You should keep a food diary of protein, carbs, fat and calories intake.

Short summary but I would check with the doctor as well to see if he has specific guidelines.

I just started this soft foods stage myself having had surgery on 7/30.  My doctor's office was very informative,  I had to attend not just the 6 nutritional classes but also a 3 hour preop seminar where all this was gone over in great detail.  A 90 page informational package was also given to us with all of this and more.  We were given a 5 page multiple choice test at the end of the seminar that the nutritionist went over with us at the last surgeon's visit (had to get at least an 80%). 

Good luck!  Good weight loss to begin with.   

Karin

HealthyHaley
on 8/16/13 11:51 am

I did Greek Yogurt, Eggs, Refried Beans, and Ricotta....so sick of it now LOL, but it worked!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 252 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 269 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views