WOW-This was a whopper of a surgery

tdbull
on 8/19/13 8:47 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I posted this on the Revision board also. I had my revision surgery and gallbladder removed all with 1 laparoscopic surgery. WOW. 3 hours in OR. This is a much different surgery than lap band. I've been in hospital 7 days. I got a small infection at the site where my drain was. They have been treating this but going home tomorrow. I started IsoPure drinks today and phase 2 full liquids tomorrow. Surgeon says my pouch is really small, like the size of a walnut, but will expand some over time. I barely got in 40 grams of protein and 35oz of liquids. Not hungry at all. This surgery has kicked my butt, tho. No energy at all. Sure hope its worth it.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Sarahakers11
on 8/19/13 9:08 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I did not have a revision just a RNY to start and I still have my gall bladder but I can tell you that IT WAS WORTH IT FOR ME.  I am not quite 3 months out and still in the "Honeymoon" phase but ITS BEEN WORTH IT.  I can walk and even run some with no issue!  I fit in most any seat!  I can almost by clothes off a normal wrack (size 18 -20 by a 16 I should be good to go!) .  My sleep apnea is better!...I JUST FEEL GREAT!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Louy
on 8/19/13 9:11 pm
RNY on 08/12/13

Love your title. I wonder if your pria lab band surgery is why your pouch is so small.  I have the same thing, small pouch that took hours instead of about 20 minutes to creat due to lesions coursed by the lab band. I was in surgery for over 5 hours.  Thin liquids for 21 days. I was out of hospital 4 days post op.  

cajungirl
on 8/19/13 9:38 pm
It'll be worth it. Hope your recovery goes well, sorry to hear about the infection.

I also had a small pouch and it still serves me well.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

karenp8
on 8/19/13 10:50 pm - Brighton, IL

Sorry to hear about your infection but it will be worth it in the end. I had my surgery a year ago next  Thursday anD was overweight my whole life. I had uncontrolled high blood pressure,diabetes,daily back and daily knee pain. Now pain is gone,blood sugar is 70 with no meds and blood pressure is normal. I have gone from a size 24 to a size 0 oR 1 and lost 133 pounds and best of all I feel great. You will too!

Jacob H.
on 8/19/13 10:54 pm - CA

I'm amazed at how easy this surgery is being preformed now. An infection is not easy, but laparoscopic sure is. I had a 17 in*****ision, spent 1 day in the ICU, and another 8 days in the hospital, and over a year before I could eat more than 1/4 cup. I remember my 8 week PO appointment, I felt great. I've been 10 years with no complications and don't regret any of it

Missella20
on 8/20/13 12:35 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Yes I was surprised after surgery...kicked my butt too. Keep drinking! Get lots of rest! Feel better soon!!!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

PetHairMagnet
on 8/20/13 8:47 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On August 20, 2013 at 3:47 AM Pacific Time, tdbull wrote:
I posted this on the Revision board also. I had my revision surgery and gallbladder removed all with 1 laparoscopic surgery. WOW. 3 hours in OR. This is a much different surgery than lap band. I've been in hospital 7 days. I got a small infection at the site where my drain was. They have been treating this but going home tomorrow. I started IsoPure drinks today and phase 2 full liquids tomorrow. Surgeon says my pouch is really small, like the size of a walnut, but will expand some over time. I barely got in 40 grams of protein and 35oz of liquids. Not hungry at all. This surgery has kicked my butt, tho. No energy at all. Sure hope its worth it.

Gee whiz, did you have major issues with the infection? 7 days? Yikes! Hope you go home very soon!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

tdbull
on 8/20/13 12:06 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Not major but wanted to treat in hospital before he sent me home to get continued care from my DH.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Like2Eat
on 8/20/13 11:31 am

Sorry to hear about the infection.  All things considered, sounds like you are doing pretty well.

I am writing this post because I am waiting for insurance approval for a similar whopper surgery.  (Removal of misplaced lap band, gall bladder removal, and RNY.)  I am anxious to hear of your progress because I was only planning to spend a day (maybe two) in the hospital.  Seven+ days in the hospital puts a different perspective on things for me. 

Hang in there, every day will be a remarkable improvement.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 275 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 207 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 274 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 142 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 207 views