Hip Replacement Surgery

JaneJetson60
on 8/20/13 3:31 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Ok, some of you know I need to get this done.  I will be honest with you, I have been putting this off because having WLS a year ago I have not exactly been jonesing to go back into surgery.  I had some problems that I don't want to scare any Newbies, but it's information worth sharing. 

Because I was diabetic, when you have surgery your sugars go up because of the stress and the surgery.  Some may not know but thank goodness in the booklet and bariatric classes they explained that there is always a risk you may have to be re-intubated for a multitude of reasons.  The percentage is low but I was in the small percentage.  What happens is they use a drug to paralyze your body while you are under.  When you are diabetic, your cells love the drug basically and want to hold on to it!  So I had to be intubated in recovery with the team around my going Jane, come on Jane it's time to wake up!  Well sure as hell did and panicked with the tube down me and then I would go back out and finally they got me awake and was fine.  Since I know longer am on medication for diabetes because my numbers are way normal even though now I suffer from RH.  Sigh...........It's not common but it does happen.

Anyway, called my PCP a bit ago and I have a 3 month referral so she said take whatever time you need to think about it. I know I have to go through all the steps required from my HMO before surgery even takes place.  I have great support from my husband and friends but I am such a chicken **** but I know it has to be done.  I am not getting any younger (60!) and this will be my second surgery.

I know many of you have been through a heck of a lot of serious surgeries and have pulled through just fine.  Have a friend that played racquetball for years and had to have surgery on both and wished he had done it sooner. 

So just thought anyone who had hip surgery feel free to post your thoughts and experience. My PCP said I would hate him the first 3 months for suggesting I do this, but by 6 months I will be alot better and would like him again.  LOL I appreciated his honesty and humor.  know it takes time and the physical therapy is going to be a joy of joys, but it is what it is.  Thanks.  Jane indecision

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/20/13 3:59 am - OH

I haven't had hip surgery, but when I went to the two hour class, they had the knee replacement people and the hip replacement people together. One of the people had a hip and knee replaced prior (different surgeon and hospital) and was then having her second knee done.

So, FWIW, she said that the hip surgery was far less painful than the knee surgery and it was far easier to get around after the hip than the knee.  The only challenge was not being able to exceed the 90-degree angle for so long.

She, of course, didn't have the issues you may have because of blood sugar issues, but she said she would rather have her OTHER hip replaced rather than her other knee, so maybe that will help lessen your hesitation.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JaneJetson60
on 8/20/13 5:32 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Thanks, Lora.  I have heard that over and over and yes, I know I should keep that in mind.  I thought about you as you waited for your knee surgery and you have had alot more surgeries than I have and you STILL went on to work and finish your education to getting your doctorate degree.  You have alot of inner strength Lora, so I commend you for that.  Will keep you posted.  Thanks again, Lora  Jane

cajungirl
on 8/20/13 4:30 am

No experience here but do want to wish you the best.  I'm sure you'll feel much better once you have it done and the recovery is over. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

JaneJetson60
on 8/20/13 5:35 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Thanks, cajungirl. I know, I just would think by now I would have come to acceptance to do doing it and just need to get the ball rolling.  Thanks for being here.  Jane

Jilly Bean
on 8/20/13 5:11 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

Don't be a chicken ****! 

You'll do great!  The recovery time is so much shorter than it used to be.  I want you to fully enjoy life.  You deserve it!  I'll be pulling for you every step of the way.

Hugs and love to you!!!  And 60 is the new 40.  Don't you know?

enlightened

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

JaneJetson60
on 8/20/13 5:44 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Oh Jilly Bean!  You know I need a kick in the ass to do this.  Trust me the only time my age bothers me is when I had the WLS.   I just need to get information and the more I learn the less I will sit and fabricate the what if's. 

Thank you so much for being a dear friend and love all those  post on your other site about dresses, shoes, jewelry, nail polish and more!  I feel like I am looking in a magazine at today's latest fashions!  Love and hugs back to you and I know will keep on my ass!   Janebroken heart

Aavenger
on 8/20/13 6:01 am - Mount pearl, Canada
VSG on 11/15/17
Jane
Two years ago I had hip surgery to replace none on bone in my hip.I could not walk I could not dress myself I was in bad way I was 57 at the time. I had the surgery on Friday I walked out of hospital on Monday on 1 crutch ,in 2.5 monthsjs I was back to work as a marine engineer on a ship.Now I worked hard treadmill and bike walking but now two years later I don't even know I had surgery ,I am a big guy I have sleep apnea and high blood pressure I'm 59 now and seriously considering getting sleeved in. Mexico.best of luck I would say get your hip done don't be in pain another minute.i hope this helps rick
JaneJetson60
on 8/20/13 6:20 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Hi Rick, thank you so much for your reply.  Yes, I want to get back to being able to do physical activities.  The fact you were 57 at the time really helps to know it is done all the time and now look what you do!   I wish you the very best on getting WLS and keep us posted.  Thanks again, Rick.    Jane kiss

Aavenger
on 8/20/13 7:05 am - Mount pearl, Canada
VSG on 11/15/17
Jane
My father 84 had one hip done at 77 now he is getting the second one done!He lives on San Antonio ,I was scared at first but it was so wonderful to wake up and that pain be gone!Now I am trying to convinced self that the sleeve is the best for me my BMi. is 43.......