Hip Replacement Surgery

JaneJetson60
on 8/20/13 7:47 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Hello Aavenger in Canada!!!  I am always amazed at people at just about every age getting their hips done.  How wonderful for your father!!!!  He's a real trooper!  You must be proud of him.  My mom fell and broke both of her hips ( not at the same time) but healed up wonderfully.  Of course she had plates and screw put in but still she was your dad's age when she broke her first hip and 2 years later broke the other one.  She did a great job in recovering and it didn't stop her.

Now about you getting the Sleeve.  When do you have to make up your mind on this?  Personally, even though I have been fortunate with my RNY, I would have the Sleeve now because you can take NSAIDS and many people don't think when they are older they may need this for arthritis.  Then it's just Tylenol or prescription meds, and neither take down the inflammation.  I had a much higher BMI than you and my insurance wasn't covering the surgery for the Sleeve at the time.  But research all that you can and I know your healthcare system in Canada is different but try and not do the Lapband if you can avoid it.  Too many problems and removals and people having to get revisions.   

Keep in touch and post and let me know what you decide.  I know it's a big decision to make, but it's so ironcic I would do it a thousand times over but I'm a chicken to get my hip replaced.  Thanks alot for posting because it all helps me.  Take care!!!

MeMinusMore
on 8/20/13 9:09 am
FWIW, my husband had his first hip replacement done about three years ago. He said that while the first two or three was hard, that he wishes he would have had it done ten years earlier. He even went back to work after one week, (I know, that's crazy!) but he said his hip had never felt better.
Good luck, and maybe request the same anesthesiologist so he'd be familiar with your recent intubation.
JaneJetson60
on 8/20/13 10:27 am
RNY on 05/07/12

MeMinusMore, thank you for letting me know about your husband. Wow, back to work after one week!  Holy Guacamole!  I am SO glad he is doing so well. All of you are reinforcing alot of great info and I can't thank you enough for posting.  I know it's not needed to reply to each of you, but you took the time for me, so again thank you!  Janekiss

KatMom
on 8/20/13 10:05 am
RNY on 07/24/12
I had my hip replaced when I was 29 and obese, it was a bear of a surgery and recovery. I just had a revision to the same hip 4 months ago and it was a breeze. I'm 49.
Losing all my weight and getting as fit as possible before surgery was key to the ease I experienced the past few months! What a difference.
I had a spinal and was up and walking with a walker the next day, out of hospital 2 days later with a rollator, 1 week of in home therapy and walking with a cane in 2 weeks.
I know it's scary but you will be okay. You will be so grateful afterwards, being able to live life pain free and more limber and agile.
Best of luck to you!
 He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche 

JaneJetson60
on 8/20/13 10:31 am
RNY on 05/07/12

KatMom, yes, when I was going through physical therapy awhile ago the therapist said we can strengthen the muscles around your hip so you are correct in what you said.  I read today that some surgeons do a spina,l some put you under, so I will know a whole lot more as time goes on and meet with the surgeon.  Thank you again, KatMom and I am thrilled you did and are doing so well.  This helps me alot!   Jane kiss

illinois Gama D.
on 8/20/13 11:47 am

Well Big Bummer!!!! I also had to do the 2 hour thingy at the surgeons office and both hip & knee were there, also said hip was easier recovery and my surgeon also had a hip and was back doing surgery in 3 weeks!! keep us posted, good luck, Denise

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

JaneJetson60
on 8/20/13 12:56 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

Oh thank you, Denise. Big Bummer, ah yes we are from that generation!   I know it's going to be a work in progress like everything else.  You have really had the run for your money girl, so I have nothing to really complain about!  You are always there for support Denise and I appreciate it alot.  Take care, Jane  

DebsGiz
on 8/20/13 12:14 pm - FL

My husband had hip replacement surgery a few years ago at the age of 66, and your doctor is right about those first three months...

My husband actually told me that he wished he'd not had it done, and if he could go back he wouldn't have.  I felt awful when he said this because I really pushed for the surgery as his hip issues were keeping us from enjoying our lives to the fullest.  

Anyhow, by the time he was six months out, he was a huge proponent of having the surgery.  In the years since his surgery, he has been able to do anything and everything with very few limitations.  In 2012, he set a new land speed record in the car he built.  Had he not had the surgery, this would have never been possible.

Seriously, for him, the "pain" was short-lived.  Maybe two to three weeks at the max.  However, the rehab took about 6 to 8 weeks. Once that was behind him, he took off and today you'd never know he'd ever had surgery.

JaneJetson60
on 8/20/13 1:04 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

DebsGiz, well that even confirms more and more that the end result is what I need to look at.  How great for your husband to do what he has done.  I have been in pain so long, that the difficulty with recovery and physical therapy at least I know I will see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Thanks again for taking the time to let me know about your husband.  I probably will swear like a sailor for awhile but it has to be worth it!    Jane kiss

Most Active
Recent Topics