What does Dumping feel like?

Marissa G.
on 8/21/13 1:46 pm - CA

One of my biggest worries for surgery. Im scared to death im going to experience this for the rest of my life! Im only 25... Do I have to worry about every single little food item forever? What does it feel like??? 

Help. Please.

Jacob H.
on 8/21/13 1:53 pm - CA

No, you don't have to worry about it forever, I was 19 at the time of surgery 10 years ago, I can have ok amounts of lots of food now, but with sugar I must be careful not to eat it on an empty stomach. The only thing I must be really careful of is dairy, I can eat yogurt and different cheeses, but I can't have ice cream or cereal, not like I used to anyway

Jacob H.
on 8/21/13 1:56 pm - CA

Forgot to mention: dumping isn't very fun and it happens slightly differently for all of us, but what seems to be always constant about it is the painful bloating followed by a half day case of diarrhea 

Marissa G.
on 8/24/13 4:29 pm - CA

You're the perfect person I want to ask about your age and years out with RNY. Can I email you???? 

Jacob H.
on 8/25/13 1:33 am - CA

Sure, you can either use the OH mail, but gmail is easier for me to get ..... [email protected]

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/25/13 3:17 am - OH

I have only dumped twice, but had no bloating either time.  According to the Mayo clinic, the hallmark symptoms are the racing heart, shakiness, and nausea.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jacob H.
on 8/25/13 4:13 am - CA

As I said its different for everyone, I have dumped countless times, usually off of things I didn't expect( there's a brand of "sugar free" coffee creamer I avoid now). If I catch it right as might heart rate starts going up I can counter act. Juice works best, but I can't always make it in time. So after my half hour or so of cold sweat, light headed ness, and the tingly feeling of every cell in my body draining of energy, I need protein to get myself going again and that takes another half hour to kick in. By that point my intestines are starting to knot up and I either get slightly gassy or end up curled up in the fetal position from painful bloating followed by constant trips to the bathroom.

Jacob H.
on 8/25/13 4:26 am - CA

I just realized I forgot to mention, As I was told by the doctor, because I was hypoglycemic before surgery, there are days for me where 1 gram of sugar causes it. Through the years I learned eating high protein first thing in the morning and I'm fine, I only dump once or twice a year now, and the horror of it is I know better. It's always from something that I know I shouldn't but really want anyways, like a snickers bar, or a mixed ****tail.

April M.
on 8/21/13 1:59 pm - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13

Only 30% of RNY post ops dump. I am almost 6 months post op and I have never experienced dumping. I eat what is on my meal plan though. I haven't really tried to eat anything that might make me dump. I know that on days I don't get my protein, I feel run down and tired. I don't really have cravings or even feel hungry. I eat because I know I have to. You might find after surgery that your tastes change and you don't want those types of food that might lead to dumping. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/21/13 2:01 pm - OH

Well, you don't have to worry about "every single little food item" even now.  You just need to avoid foods high in sugar (and, for some people, high in carbs).  If it isn't high in sugar/carbs, it won't cause dumping.  Too much fat might also cause intestinal distress, but it isn't technically dumping.

The hallmark symptoms of dumping are elevated heart rate, shakiness, dizziness, nausea, and an almost overwhelming desire to lie down.  It often also includes flushing, abdominal cramping, and diarrhea.  It does NOT generally cause vomiting or pain.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views