Bypass and Airplanes

Marissa G.
on 8/29/13 9:54 am - CA

Hey guys,

Quick question. I have surgery scheduled for 9-16 (from Los Angeles).  I am going to Washington DC on October 13 for a friends wedding and then to NYC (I live a very crazy bicoastal life!).   

Do you think I can go on an airplane 4 weeks out of my surgery?? Also, I'm afraid of passing gas on an airplane too! Share with me your thoughts and stories. 

Thanks!

M

kinny09
on 8/29/13 10:02 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Shouldn't be a problem, there's no specific reason why you cannot fly due to the surgery itself. But if you have any complications or need to return for a followup at that time then that would interfere. Many folks have to have their surgeries out of state/country and fly back to their homes, so this is very normal...You will definitely need to play it by ear though and see how things go after surgery + talk to your surgeon. Why are you afraid of passing gas on the plane now lol? Nothing special happens after surgery to make that department different...

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/13 10:50 am - OH

Many people have a lot of gas the first month or two (and sometimes longer), and it very often has a pretty nasty smell (definitely worse than normal gas).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/13 10:47 am - OH

Flying should be ok, but you might still have lifting restrictions, so be careful about handling your bag(s).

If you are concerned about gas, get some Gas-X chewables and take two doses, -- as directed (I forget off the top of my head how many hours apart the doses should be) -- before the flight.   I usually only get gas when I eat a carb-heavy meal, but when I DO get it, I rely on the cherry chewable Gas-X, since the last thing I want is to be in a small room with clients and have gas!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Marissa G.
on 8/29/13 5:06 pm - CA

Thank you Lora!! you're always a great help..  (im still deciding whether or not to do surgery! eek very conflicted!) 

gentlyonward
on 8/29/13 3:11 pm - St. John's, Canada
RNY on 08/17/13 with

I had my surgery in Mexico and was on a plane home to Newfoundland, Canada (For a total of 9+ hours in the air, split into two flights) 5 days post surgery, so you should be fine! :) I didn't have any issue with gas, but you can always just load up on gas-x! XD

Marissa G.
on 8/29/13 5:05 pm - CA

looks like you did yours recently. how has it been?! thanks for the input

gentlyonward
on 8/30/13 1:24 am - St. John's, Canada
RNY on 08/17/13 with

Great! I'm down 9.2 pounds from my surgery weight, 27 pounds from my pre-surgery weight. My new stomach doesn't love milk or plain water.. but that's really the only two issues I've had! Wish I would have done it decades ago! XD

Karen R.
on 8/29/13 3:34 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

I traveled by air for 14 hours five weeks after my surgery and had no issues.  Be careful about your luggage though.  Get help putting it in the trunk or pulling it off the carousel when you land.  You don't want to lift anything over 10 lbs (which was the limit my surgeon set).

Have fun at the wedding!

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Marissa G.
on 8/29/13 5:05 pm - CA

Thank you!!! That makes me feel better =) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views