Gas Pains

Beth P.
on 8/30/13 10:40 pm - Canada

I had my surgery up in Ottawa on the 28th of Aug, and I have a quick question.  Did others with this type of surgery suffer from bad gas pains?  I feel like I am so bloated still, but assume that is normal.  Anyone have any other recommendations other then walking to help with the pain?  Thanks!

HW: 418, SW: 385, GW: 190

angeleigh
on 8/30/13 10:57 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Warm liquids help. Gas X strips help, walking walking walking.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

TopherCarter
on 8/31/13 12:00 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

I know everyone is different...I had my surgery exactly one week before you...and I had gas pains for exactly one day.  One day where it seemed like my stomach rumbled non stop, and gas came out of all ends.  I did a little extra walking that day, and got most of it out.  Since then, the gas has been a fraction of that, and no pain involved.  My hope is that if you can just get through this day, you'll be solid from here on out.  :D

DeidreB
on 8/31/13 2:11 am

The surgeon pumps air into your abdomen in order to make room for instruments and to see what they are doing.  The air gets absorbed by the gut and you will have gas pain (belly/midback/shoulder) and bloating until it comes out.  It took me 2.5 days to pass just a bit and i walked around the building 3 times a day post op.  I also put a few pillows on the bed and lay on them face down/but up and rock your belly on them.  You can also flutter your hand or press and drag on your belly when lying on your back in the direction of your colon to help it move: start a lower right abdomen and go up then across to the left, then down to the lower left.

I still have issues with gas and have found that eating very slowly - 60 minutes per 1/2 cup of food and going lactose free has been helpful.

Most Active
Recent Topics