Is eating food really that much different from drinking liquids?

rosegold85
on 9/2/13 5:53 pm
RNY on 08/26/13

I had RNY last Monday, 8/26/13 and have been on full liquids ever since. My day typically consists of water, isopure (fantastic protein drink that isn't milky like the other shake types) SF popsicles, sometimes a milky protein drink and a little but of tomato soup.

As of right now, I feel like I can drink all of these things as I did before, now it's just a little slower and a bit less but I'm just curious if when I eat actual food, if that's when I'm gonna feel my smaller tummy? At the moment, I feel as if I could have not even had the surgery! My stomach may be the exact same size as it was before for all I know! Obviously, I trust my surgeon and know he did the procedure, but you know what I mean?   Did it take anyone else until they ate actual food before they really noticed the reduced size of their stomach?
Mo Diggity
on 9/2/13 6:03 pm, edited 9/2/13 6:05 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

The way it's been described to me on here, is that the new pouch is like a funnel, and liquids basically go right through so you won't really have that "full" feeling yet. After I got off of liquids and went to pureed, I was surprised by how much I could eat & not feel that full !! Same as you, I was thinking maybe the doc didn't make it small enough (which I've seen a lot of people post about that on here soon after surgery). But when I got to my regular food stage, and started eating chicken, fish, etc, I was surprised by how much quicker I got full !! Like on HALF the amount that got me full during pureed. Again, I asked about it here & was told that regular food is more dense than pureed so you get fuller quicker (which makes total sense). I was even MORE surprised when I had my Upper GI xray thing about 6-8 wks after surgery (where you drink the barium), I was SHOCKED when the xray tech showed me my new pouch.... It was the same size as his thumb !!! And here I was thinking maybe my doc made it too big hahahahaaa

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

purpleswingline
on 9/2/13 6:22 pm - Fayetteville, AR
RNY on 08/26/13

I am so glad you post this.  I also had surgery August 26th and I can drink my liquids just fine and was also wondering if doc did anything, which I know he did! 

Katie K.
on 9/2/13 7:10 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
It absolutely is different. You'll be shocked by how little it takes to fill you up.

chris_ruff
on 9/3/13 12:33 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

ditto this. you'll be floored. like two bites and you're done.

--Christina
sarah_durso
on 9/3/13 1:56 am

I had surgery in July .  Drinking was and is easy.  Eating , I van have about a half of hard boiled egg , 3 oz of refried beans, you get full fast. Liquids just slide on though. They don't stay in your pouch long. Solids take longer to digest .   

PetHairMagnet
on 9/3/13 2:13 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I also like many of the Isopure RTD flavors, but they do pass through rather quickly and are not going to make you feel as full as something like even yogurt will, which is a 'full' liquid for my doctor. 

HTH

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

rosegold85
on 9/3/13 3:21 pm
RNY on 08/26/13

This is so good to hear. Thank you so much everybody!

AwesomeForever
on 9/3/13 3:44 pm - Marlborough, MA

At 5 plus years out, I am still surprised at how little that I can eat and survive. I mean, I move around a lot. I just had my three youngest grandchildren over for the long holiday weekend. I was going strong and their little bodies were getting tired they said. I was okay to hop in the car and drive home more than an hour and a half.

I travel to many places in a group when I go to the UK. It is amazing how much food is placed before you in a restaurant. If you looked at the amount I eat, perhaps you would be like many servers who wonder if the food was okay. I try to preface that I do not eat much so they are not shocked at the wasted food.

While traveling with a new friend in England and sharing a room, she decided to tell me about all her favorite pastas when she learned that I would go on from the group tour to Italy with a friend. I had told her that I had weight loss surgery and could not eat pastas, breads and rice. She tried to teach me Italian and did continue to tell me about the great raviolis that are fried. No fried foods either!

This friend did not seem to hear the foods that I could not eat. I survived and thrived in Italy as well as France and Germany before getting there.

Gosh, I am realizing that I have said survived so many times in this response. Probably, I am thinking about the response Dr Sharma gave to the risk factor in having weight loss surgery in the article that I just read.

I am doing more than surviving. I have been very healthy these past 5 1/2 years. I used to get every sickness coming around. I am 66 and retired. I go to places with friends. I look forward to the different seasons and travel experiences that are ahead. I am going to Dominica for the eighth time this fall on our church's mission team. When I worked, I kept hustling even though I was on limited duty. I like my new healthier stomach size.

I am glad you like Isopure. I could not tolerate them at all. I use water with my protein powders. I make one shake a day.

Good luck Rose.

rosegold85
on 9/3/13 4:03 pm
RNY on 08/26/13

Hi Rose,

It's great to hear that traveling (and eating) are still fun to do after the surgery and I absolutely LOVE that you go on mission trips with your church, that's fantastic and something I'd really love to do myself. It's definitely something that would be more possible for me after having surgery than it would have been before, thanks for the inspiration!

God bless!