2 year anniversary

funkyphillygirl
on 9/12/13 3:29 am

Two years ago today, I did it - I had RNY surgery.  I thought about it for 9 years and I just couldn't be happier with the results.  Yes, I had stalls.  No, I am not thin now.  No, I haven't had any regain.  But, I am healthier, happier and blessed beyond anything I could have imagined. 

To those of you who are just getting on the journey or new post-ops, keep the faith.  Put one foot in front of the other.  Learn all you can and follow directions.  And think about what a great thing this is for your HEALTH and your LIFE - and don't focus so much on your scale, your pants size or your shoe size.  This is about you and your life.  Go for it.

Thanks for the opportunity to share this with you all!

NurseBrandy
on 9/12/13 3:45 am

LOVE...LOVE....LOVE this post!!

Surgery date is Sep 23 : )

funkyphillygirl
on 9/12/13 7:14 am

Thanks - I am sure you are anxious, excited and distracted about now - as you should be.  It's a big decision.  I will share with you the same thing I say to anyone - take direction, do what you are told to do, and get your head into the "I'm doing this for my health" motivation.  It seems to me that, when people do that, the going is a bit smoother (not without bumps, but smoother).

I'm a Type 1.5 diabetic (which means I do not make insulin, like a type 1 and am insulin resistant, like a type 2 for 27 years), and have PCOS.  I could not find any research out there about the benefits for someone like me.  That is part of why it took me so long to do it. 

Here's what happened though - I went from 246 on day or surgery to 169 today.  I've been taken off all but ONE of my oral diabetic medicines (I was on 3 of them), and one went down to half, I'm on about 35% less insulin daily but getting more out of it (I'm not on a pump), I've been able to get rid of both my cholesterol and bp meds.  That's been more than I could expect.

Personally, I've changed jobs (and no one knows that I used to be much larger), I'm in a doctoral program, I am much more active, even with bad knees I can run some - life is really so much better because I KNOW I'm healthier.  And, I also know this decision was made with my overall health in mind.

The first few weeks are not easy, but YOU CAN DO IT!  And they will really fly by.  The time passes quickly after surgery, even though it doesn't seem like it will.  And there will be times when you think you are done losing weight or really stalled, and other times when weight is dropping off of you and you really won't believe it.  I actually know almost forget that I had the surgery and, it's only when I see people I haven't seen in a few years and they are stunned that I say, "Oh yes  - that's right..."

Congrats and best of luck to you.  GO for it and OWN it. 

karenp8
on 9/12/13 4:10 am - Brighton, IL

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing with us.

Jewelsstevens
on 9/12/13 6:50 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

Congrats!

tdbull
on 9/12/13 10:44 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Thanks for your post. Ppl like me who may still be questioning what I did to myself can really benefit from posts like yours. Maybe there is light at the end of this recovery tunnel.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

funkyphillygirl
on 9/12/13 12:01 pm

Thanks....I'm sorry if the road is hard for you.  Have faith - and ask for help if you need it.  I'm feel very fortunate, even though it's not been easy. 

E R.
on 9/13/13 6:20 pm - Switzerland

Well done with maintaining your weight loss. You are an inspiration.

RNY:  4 June 2013

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?