Metallic taste in mouth - post surgery

laura343
on 10/2/13 11:50 pm

Since I had my surgery 5 weeks ago I have had a metallic taste in my mouth ever since.  Sometimes I just describe it as a yuck taste.  It is making it difficult sometimes to drink my liquids.  Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to correct it?

changingmomma
on 10/3/13 2:11 am
That taste is the worst! Mine went away around 2 months post op. Good luck!
laura343
on 10/3/13 3:27 am

Thank y ou for the reply.  I am was hoping this would be a temporary thing...  Keeping my fingers crossed....  

The Salty Hag
on 10/3/13 4:49 am, edited 10/3/13 11:45 am
RNY on 05/20/13
You don't have thrush do you? I know that can cause things to taste bad. You might want to mention it to your surgeon.

ETA: I never had anything like you've described.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

laura343
on 10/3/13 5:17 am

I never had this problem until this surgery.  I mentioned it to my doctor and nutritionist but they said they don't get this kind of complaints.  they are hoping it is just temporary.

I am going to give it another month or so before i start to worry.  was hoping someone had an answer...

thanks for the reply.  

The Salty Hag
on 10/3/13 5:39 am
RNY on 05/20/13
I was at a post op support group on Tuesday, and the topic was changing tastes after surgery. The dietician running the group mentioned that sometimes, a metallic taste could mean a mineral deficiency in zinc, copper, or nickel. I hope I don't sound like an alarmist or anything...but maybe get a complete set of labs done if you think it might be possible that you have a deficiency. I don't know how common that could be, and hopefully one of the vets will answer and have a better idea about possible causes. I am hoping my dietician wasn't full of it...and I hope I'm not passing on incorrect info to you. If it turns out I am, I'm most sincerely sorry in advance.
I'm sure it's got to be frustrating to try to get your protein and fluids in when everything tastes bad. I really hope you can find an answer.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

laura343
on 10/3/13 6:18 am

I appreciate you!!!  Thank you!!

Tammy G.
on 10/3/13 6:01 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
I've had 2 surgeries that moved my liver around. Both times my taste changed. I believe it was caused by slight liver damaged caused by being shifted. Once my liver healed and the enzymes went down, my taste went to normal. The last time not only did everything have a metallic taste, anything sweet was bitter, like aspirin. I am almost positive it will go away. Might take 2-3 months. The last time I had surgery, I was eviscerated, and it took 3 months to get my taste back.

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

laura343
on 10/3/13 6:30 am

Thank you for sharing your info...  i was going to give it another month or so....  maybe that is what is happening to me.

Dee.spunk
on 10/3/13 6:01 am - Sacramento, CA
Look up ketones. (I think I spelled it right) it's from the rapid weight loss I believe. I had the same problem and it's actually quite common.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Most Active
Recent Topics