I dont know which surgery to have.........

jamie99d
on 10/19/13 11:59 am
VSG on 02/17/14

I don't know which surgery to do.....bypass or sleeve???? I am classified under morbid obese and want to do the surgery that will give me the best results.  I have heard some bad stories about people having bypass and having trouble holding their weight and having to have feeding tubes.....any words of wisdom would be great!!! Thanks in advance!

poet_kelly
on 10/19/13 12:17 pm - OH

Which does your doctor recommend for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jamie99d
on 10/19/13 1:04 pm
VSG on 02/17/14
Bypass
poet_kelly
on 10/19/13 1:06 pm - OH

And why does your doctor recommend that for you over the sleeve?  Are you unsure if you agree with his or her reasoning?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jamie99d
on 10/19/13 1:30 pm
VSG on 02/17/14
He said because of my high bmi and that I have slowly gained weight my whole life. (I am 32 been overweight since I was 7) I am not sure I am comfortable with doing bypass over the sleeve.
rissa1224
on 10/20/13 11:34 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

FYI I had my Sleeve at age 24 (before my 25th) and my BMI was OVER 50. I was 307 day of surgery. I was heavy my ENTIRE life. My surgeon told me that my choice of the sleeve (at first it was the band and thank GOD i chose differently) was the best decision. The only thing different about me is my tummy is tiny. I was TERRIFIED of all the 'complications' that come along with RNY- i have a few friends who had it. I didn't want to re route my insides. I didn't want to risk malobsorbtion, dumping, etc. I would go with the sleeve any day, and if I had to start over I would choose the sleeve by far. In the end it is your choice, but keep doing research. Keep looking at each forum Sleeve and RNY and read up on posts- negatives and positives and compare. If you have ANY questions feel free to msg me =)

Mary Catherine
on 10/19/13 12:40 pm
Needing a feeding tube is highly unlikely. Most of us fight hard to keep from regaining weight after the RNY honeymoon is over. Then we absorb most or all of the calories that we eat. With sleeve there is no malabsorption honeymoon, so you absorb all calories from day one.

The best longterm results are from DS.
bdaycakegirl
on 10/19/13 1:06 pm

I went back and forth FOREVER. I read and read and just could not decide. After a second consultation with my surgeon, I decided rny. I am looking at it, that either surgery I have,  can lose weight. I am going to go with the one my doctor thinks I will lose the most with. Just know that whatever you decide, in the end, you are going to be a healthier you.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

jamie99d
on 10/19/13 1:31 pm
VSG on 02/17/14
Have you had your surgery?
bdaycakegirl
on 10/19/13 2:14 pm

No, I have not. But I have finally made the decision as to which I will have, and that has brought me much peace. The indecision was caused me so much anxiety.

Most Active
Recent Topics