Interesting piece of info I learned in this week in regards to protein and water

Jules0225
on 10/18/13 5:36 am

So we all know that post op life consists of a high protein diet and making sure we get enough fluids. Yes, we all know if we (or anyone) does not consume enough fluids dehydration occurs. What I didn't know is that eating high amount of protein actually increases the risk of dehydration. Now, I know at first our body isn't absorbing all the nutrients we eat but regardless, I found this interesting. Anyway, one of the classes I'm taking this semester is Introduction to Nutrition. It's been absolutely amazing. This week's chapter is on Protein and Amino Acids. I just read this and thought I'd share.

Some background so this all makes sense (lol):

Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. Speaking on a molecular level each amino acid contains an amino group, an acid group, a hydrogen atom and a distinctive side group all attached to a central carbon atom (amino means containing nitrogen). When an amino acid is broken down (this occurs when they are used for energy or to make glucose or fat), they are first deaminated or stripped of their nitrogen containing amino groups.

With me so far? (I know it's confusing) 

Two products are created as a result: ammonia and a keto acid.

Ammonia is a base and in excess it will upset the blood's critical acid-base balance. To prevent this from happening your liver combines the ammonia with carbon dioxide to make urea which is much less toxic. So the more protein you eat, the more urea your body produces. 

To get rid of the urea your liver cells release it into the blood, then your kidneys filter it out of the blood for excretion in the urine. To keep urea in solution, the body needs water so a person who consumes a high protein diet must drink plenty of water to dilute and excrete urea from the body. Without the extra water a person on a high protein diet runs extra risk of dehydration because the body uses its water to rid itself of the urea.

So for the science nerds out there like me, there's a bit of reasoning behind the importance and necessity of adequate fluid intake. 

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

poet_kelly
on 10/18/13 6:02 am - OH

Thanks so much for sharing this.  I didn't know that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jules0225
on 10/18/13 6:22 am, edited 10/18/13 6:25 am

You're welcome. I wish I could just copy and paste everything from the book on here. This was actually one of the chapters I was looking forward to the most (the other being the carbohydrate chapter).

There is a lot of good information on protein quality too. Animal proteins are considered high quality proteins but at the same time they can be high in saturated fat so in addition to meat, seafood, eggs and dairy including soy, nuts, seeds, grains and legumes as protein sources is ideal.  Yeah, didn't realize that either. This class has made me re-evaluate my diet and in the process given me a headache! lol.

Question for you Kelly: I know that we eventually will start absorbing calories and such as a normal person does. Do you know if this includes nutrients (like protein) from foods? I know that the malabsorption of vitamins is forever because of the part of the intestine that was bypassed but I wasn't sure if protein fell under this category too. Thanks! :)

poet_kelly
on 10/18/13 6:36 am - OH

Nutrients can be divided into two categories - macronutrients (the big things, which have calories, like fat, protein and carbs) and micronutrients (the little things like vitamins and minerals).

We start absorbing all (or at least most) of our calories again because start absorbing the macronutrients again.  So yeah, protein, carbs and fats will all (or mostly) be absorbed.  They get absorbed all through our small intestine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jules0225
on 10/18/13 6:37 am

Thank you! 

Jules0225
on 10/18/13 6:22 am
Jules0225
on 10/18/13 6:23 am
Spots- N-Dots
on 10/18/13 6:28 am

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Valuable information !

Debb

PetHairMagnet
on 10/18/13 7:23 am
RNY on 05/13/13

That is interesting...and it really does make sense!

TFS!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

LilyBugsMommy
on 10/18/13 7:37 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Great post & follow-up conversation!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 239 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 271 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 111 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?