Should I get on the scale?

Catie780
on 10/28/13 3:29 am
Hi I am 2 weeks (today- I still can't believe it !!) post o. I have appt with GP next week. I was at surgeon last week and happy with scale results (25.5 since 2 week liquid and 1 week after surgery.)

But now I don't feel/ see any difference in my body 1 week later. I am full of energy and feel 20 years younger mentally and physically.

I do not want to be bummed if the scale isn't positive or negative - well ya know what I mean.?!?!

Thanks for any input
Mary Catherine
on 10/28/13 3:39 am

If it is going to upset you, then stay off the scale until you get to the doctor's office again. 

SandieMc49
on 10/28/13 3:43 am, edited 10/28/13 3:44 am

Truth is - you're gonna be bummed (it's your choice to be bummed or not) - the nature of the WLS beast is that you WILL have stalls - you will have times when you don't lose any weight, despite your doing everything right.  BUT what you have to remember is - it's only temporary! 

Set your sights on what you want the scale to say 10 months from now - not 10 hours from now or 10 days from now!  Use the scale as a guide to your progress; just a guide though - because it does not define your progress.  I am so happy to hear that you are feeling so great physically - oh my gosh - that's so inspirational.  Thanks for the smile!

Sandie

chaly
on 10/28/13 3:54 am
RNY on 11/05/13
On October 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM Pacific Time, SandieMc49 wrote:

Truth is - you're gonna be bummed (it's your choice to be bummed or not) - the nature of the WLS beast is that you WILL have stalls - you will have times when you don't lose any weight, despite your doing everything right.  BUT what you have to remember is - it's only temporary! 

Set your sights on what you want the scale to say 10 months from now - not 10 hours from now or 10 days from now!  Use the scale as a guide to your progress; just a guide though - because it does not define your progress.  I am so happy to hear that you are feeling so great physically - oh my gosh - that's so inspirational.  Thanks for the smile!

Sandie

I like what you said there about setting "your sights on what you want the scale to say 10 months from now- not 10 hours from now or 10 days from now."  I think that is some wise advise for all of us who are newly out, or in my case surgery is yet to come.  Thank you!

PetHairMagnet
on 10/28/13 4:55 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Do you have realistic goals? Did you notice yourself getting fatter week by week? If not, how do you expect to see yourself getting thinner in just a week?

It took time to get fat and it will take time to NOT be fat. But you WILL get there if you are being compliant with the program laid out for you--ALL of the program, not just some.

So if you can handle seeing a lb or two off and being okay with it--hop on the scale. If you are going to freak and be upset...stay off it. It really is that simple. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

scoobyluvr1
on 10/28/13 6:55 am
RNY on 10/21/13

Personally, I do not have a scale at home.   I thought about getting one,   funny but i've had so many , everytime I started a new diet and started losing weight I would buy a new scale,  then when I packed the weight back on threw it out.  Talk about living in denial.    Anyway,  I thought about getting one so I could easily track my progress at home,  everyone, including my surgeon told me not to bother.  I decided i'm not going to bother-  I dont want to be a slave to the scale.  I will get weighed when I go for follow ups or when i'm at my pcp  and that will have to be good enough.    Just less of a mind you know what for me.

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

Mary Catherine
on 10/28/13 9:26 am

This might be the first time in your life when you will actually get to see that scale going steadily down.  Two weeks might be a little soon, but don't miss the whole journey. 

It is like watching a little one learn to walk.  Each step is an adventure to be celebrated.  There are some stumbles and falls, but the baby keeps getting up and trying again.

I think not having a scale for this journey is missing out on a lot of the joy.

Catie780
on 10/28/13 10:33 am
Wow I want to respond to each and every one of you!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you. It really helped to reread all your posts. They were quite inspiring and motivational- each in their own way.

I am not going on the scale. I probably will be bummed- although I keep thinking - this is not like those other diets. I have a different tool this time. But I don't want to loose the positive feelings I have. Yes I am following the plan I was given- well not enough water. I will wait until I go to DP-- even though his scale is way different than surgeon's scale. Maybe I should make a pit stop at surgeon's office to hope on the same scale.

Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh stop it.

I'm going a little nuts. But it's just my extra energy working over time.

Aw poor me. I have too much energy!!! Lol. Ok rambling & rambling& rambling....
tenkat99
on 10/29/13 12:59 pm
RNY on 08/27/13
I've chosen not to "scale it" as well. I go by what is too loose to wear now, waist measurements (only every 2 weeks), and my post-op appointments. I'm 8 weeks out now and at my 6 week appt. I was down 30 lbs from day of surgery. My BMI was already down 6 points!
I do get curious about a stall but then I get up one morning & suddenly everything is a little looser.
When people ask how much I've lost, I enjoy not knowing. I'm not a number. I wasn't when I started & I won't be when I'm finished.
Good luck, Dear One!

Kindest Regards, tenkat99

A word to the wise ain't necessary.  It's the stupid who need the advice."  ~ Will Rogers

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 295 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views