Heating pad?

Lovetocruz
on 11/17/13 7:59 pm - Nashville, NC

Trying to prepare my "to the hospital list", and have a heating pad question.  Should I take my own, or will hospital supply?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/17/13 8:40 pm, edited 11/17/13 8:40 pm - OH

I didn't have any need or use for one at all. What do you expect to need it for?

I have had many surgeries and have never seen a heating pad in the hospital, so my guess is that if you want one for something, you will need to bring your own.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 11/17/13 8:52 pm - OH

Hospitals typically have heating pads if patients need them.  I didn't need one in the hospital after my WLS, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RNY on 10/21/13

I've worked in hospitals for 10 years and don't see heating pads very often, if at all. They typically use different types of hot packs that cool off on their own and usually PT or OT brings them to you. Usually if you bring anything that has a plug (fan, hot pad, CPAP, etc) it needs to be checked out by someone from maintenance and engineering to make sure it meets certain standards and will not cause a fire. 

PetHairMagnet
on 11/18/13 3:44 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 18, 2013 at 3:59 AM Pacific Time, Lovetocruz wrote:

Trying to prepare my "to the hospital list", and have a heating pad question.  Should I take my own, or will hospital supply?

Ask your surgeon if he will allow use of the heating pad. It was explicitly forbidden on my surgeon's list because of bleeding (IIRC) and I was told I could ice or take meds, but no heat AT ALL. I was told to even turn off my heated mattress pad until 2 weeks post-op.

So at least ask before attempting to use. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 485 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 412 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 179 views
Recent Topics