Further evidence that people are stupid

pathchic
on 12/18/13 10:46 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

I saw a friend yesterday... ok, friend is a little strong of a description... let's go with "someone I know" - and she went on an on about how "effortless" my weight loss has been.  Effortless?  Really? A complete overhaul of my entire life is "effortless"? I kept quiet, it wasn't worth getting all pissed about and educating her would have been more effort than I cared to exert. 

I do, however, worry a bit about it looking so "effortless", I don't want someone getting the wrong impression.  I find myself explaining to friends and coworkers (who also struggle with their weight) about what goes into this.   When I think of how challenging it has been... wow... and I'm not even at the hard part yet!

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/13 11:21 pm

That is funny effortless. I mean we are like a science experiment sometimes.We have to watch what we put in our mouths at every meal when we try something new.I hate having to explain myself on the topic of WLS. I think it is best to change the subject when it comes to weight loss.People will judge no matter what you tell them.I think some people think it is effortless because they are over weight and too scared to do something about it.I think it is funny how people think you did it just to look better that one blows my mind.I am worried about the challenges that lie ahead of me.I am going to do my best to take care of myself.

Mary Catherine
on 12/18/13 11:52 pm

I just smile and say I am so lucky to have this opportunity.  The hard way did not work for me and I took the easy way out.  I am not getting paid for educating stupid people and am content to allow them to continue in their ignorance.

Lora R.
on 12/19/13 12:33 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I actually said to someone "have you  really researched it?  It isn't the easy way out."  I have had only two people say something ignorant to me.  The other one that gets me is "so many people I know who had it done, had complications" I guess I have been lucky (knock on wood) not to have any at this point. 

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

fionax
on 12/19/13 2:06 am - VA

This is the main reason why only my family know about the surgery. My friends all see I am working hard at the gym and bootcamp classes, and that I'm dieting, so they assume that's why I'm losing weight. I didn't want to belittle my efforts so I didn't tell anyone. People think it is so easy which is a big misconception!

HW: 280    SW: 235     Surgery date: 10/28/13

SteveWebb
on 12/19/13 3:50 am - NC

Don't remember where it's at but the Bible has a verse about throwing your pearls before the swine.  I think that would apply here, maybe not in a spiritual way but you know what I mean.  You can't cure stupid but we can lose weight. LOL  You rock! Pathchic keep on losing girl! Merry Christmas

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

CarolF3
on 12/19/13 5:36 am - Albany, NY
RNY on 12/17/12

There will always be those people out there who are not educated.

I ran across a couple of those as well-who have changed their view and tune as they watched me whittle away after my surgery.

Carol

Don 1962
on 12/19/13 8:42 am

Would it have taken less exertion to stick your foot up her ass?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/19/13 9:02 am
Hehehehe

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

AnchorsAweigh
on 12/19/13 9:19 am

Effortless? HAHA--that goes along with we all took the easy way out!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 349 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 305 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics