New Years resolution - No fast food

dirks34
on 12/31/13 11:40 pm
RNY on 10/31/12

So my New Year's resolution is not pay a penny on fast food. Now don't get me wrong, I don't buy fast very often. We only have a Subway and A/W here and I don't really like either of them. Once in a while we go to one on our road trips. I like Wendy's salads and I usually get a snack wrap at Mcdonalds. Our last road trip, we stopped at Dairy Queen. I tried a burger to get some protein in me but it was cold and gross so I decided to not to waste my time or money on these fast food restaurants anymore. It will take some preplanning but I'm up for the challenge. My husband may want to go once in awhile but I will make sure I grab something healthy at a local grocery store or bring my own food.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

LilyBugsMommy
on 12/31/13 11:51 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Sounds like a great plan!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

dirks34
on 1/1/14 12:17 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Thanka

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/1/14 12:06 am - OH

I don't do fast food very often, but usually limit it to chili, a grilled chicken sandwich salad (where I ignore most of the greens), a taco salad without the bowl, or a fish sandwich from Big Boy where I can easily eat the fish without the vast majority of the fried breading.

Last week, though, I was out with my mom in a rural area and we both needed to eat, and McDonald's was all there was.   I had not had a Big Mac in so many years, and it really sounded good, so I got one.  I pulled the center bread and top of the bun off, scraped most of the sauce off, and ate about half of it.  I felt horrible about a half hour later! Not nauseous, not dumping, just felt sort of bloated and lethargic.  I assume it was just my body's reaction to the greasy, unhealthy food.  Never again. No big sacrifice, to be sure.

Good luck with your resolution!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dirks34
on 1/1/14 12:16 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Thanks Lora. Since its been 6 years for you now how have things been going? Any issues? Its always nice to hear from someone who has had the surgery longer than I have.

Stephanie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/1/14 1:34 am - OH

As long as I avoid apple skins and onion rings, which make me physically ill, I usually have no food issues at all.  I do avoid fried foods and try to limit processed foods, and I eat a pretty simple diet (lots of single foods or dishes with a limited number of ingredients... I don't eat a lot of casseroles and things that have lots of different ingredients, but that is because I live alone and don't like to cook much for one person (and have so many leftovers)).

I have maintained all of my weight loss, but have had my weight creep up to my 5-pound re-gain limit several times (and have then temporarily eliminated most carbs and increased protein and liquids to get those few pounds back off).  

I have definitely had some complications (an incisional hernia from the open RNY, necrosis after my tummy tuck, another surgery because of scar tissue restricting my intestine, gallbladder removal, and several rounds of kidney stones), but it has still been worth every bit of it to be a normal sized person!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Day_dream_believer
on 1/1/14 12:32 am

Not only will it be healthier, but you will save a ton of money.  I have 3 teenagers.  Between the 5 (including my husband) we can easily spend $50.00 at McDonalds.  I would much rather cook something at home or take a little bag of snack food on road trips.  It tastes much better and I could buy a new outfit with the money I save from just one meal.

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/14 12:52 am

I am not sure where you live if there are highways with rest stops.I went to one with my husband and they had fast food and they also had a place that sold cheese sticks and hard boiled eggs.This may be one place that would work for you and your husband,I try to always have a cheese stick with me or a protein shake.I sometimes crave a big mac.But they made me sick before the surgery.I can't imagine what they would do now to me.Best wishes on your resolution.

dirks34
on 1/1/14 1:00 am
RNY on 10/31/12

yea this last trip we made to our family Christmas party I packed turkey buns and cheese as well as fruit and healthy snacks. It was on the way back I had nothing so next time I will plan better.

QoftheU
on 1/1/14 3:59 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
I'm not there yet but I've seen bags of baked apple slices and once I'm to that point, I can't wait to try them!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views