Anybody from Central Ma/Worcester area?

somethingwitty372
on 1/2/14 11:59 pm

I'm in the Worcester, MA area, looking to see if there is anyone else in the area who's had surgery or is planning on having surgery soon? I'm on the surgical track plan at UMass and would love to hear from some other people in the area!

vcroome
on 1/3/14 8:16 am - Japan

Hey somethingwitty! I'm from Southeastern Mass, and I'm also planning on having surgery hopefully the end of this month or beginning of next month. I am going though Roger William Hospital in Rhode Island, since it's closer to me than any of the MA surgeons. I recently graduated from UMASS though! I'm glad to hear there are others nearby having surgery around the same time as me!

Mary Gee
on 1/3/14 9:02 am

Hi - I'm currently going through the process at U-Mass.  Went to orientation, saw psych and nutritionist.  Also have to go to the four informational meetings, see the exercise therapist, and get sleep apnea test done.  Also have to see cardio because of heart problems I have.  Hopefully, I'll be having surgery around March or April.

Very comfortable with this process.  Originally was going for RNY - but now I'm planning on the Sleeve - guess I'll make final decision when I see the surgeon.

How far along are you?

Mary

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

somethingwitty372
on 1/3/14 9:28 am
Oh wow! We're pretty much at the same point. I've done orientation, psych and exercise. I stillhave nutrition which is booked out till March, but they keep assuring me it will get moved once the new NUTs are trained. Do we have to complete all the appointments before we can start the educational sessions? When did you start the process? I had my first appt in October. I'm hopping for end of March or April for an RNY surgery date. Nice to know someone local is in the same place as me!
Mary Gee
on 1/3/14 2:45 pm

I went to the October orientation!   Had first appointment 11/7.  My nutritionist appt. was originally booked for March too - but they told me to call anytime to see if there might be a cancelation.  I happened to see my PCP at the hospital on 11/5, and decided to stop by the WC to check for a cancelation, and lo and behold they had an opening for 11/6 at 8:30 so I lucked out on that.  You do have to see the nutritionist before you can start the educational classes.  And you also have to pay at least $100 of the $350 program fee before starting the classes.  They sent me over to the Financial Office where they can set up a payment schedule or possibly waive the fee (I'm on Social Security Disability so they said I have a good chance of getting the waiver - I had to submit evidence of my income and now I'm waiting to hear).

What was the exercise appt. like?  That was news to me.  I have a lot of mobility issues so I'm interested in seeing what is recommended.

I was planning on the RNY at first, but now I'm leaning toward the sleeve - because I have to take pain medications, and also don't want the malabsorption issues (which can cause the dreaded "dumping".  I've been reading the RNY and Sleeve boards here and learned an awful lot.  Will see what the surgeon says.  Do you know if we get to choose a surgeon, or if they're assigned.  Dr. Kelly, I guess, has the most experience, but I'm confident in all of them.

Right now I'm planning on starting to buy some things for post-op life.  I visit  theworldaccordingtoeggface.com regularly - Shelly has a great blog and recipes and information on cooking tools, etc.  Like I'm going to get mini muffin and loaf pans, some flavored syrups, protein powder, etc.......  

I'm really excited about this - I wanted to have it a few years ago, but my employer placed a WLS exclusion on their health insurance to keep costs down, so I couldn't do it.  Now that I have Medicare and Fallon Sr. it's covered.  

I'm going to send you a friend request - hopefully we can support each other through this process.

Mary

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 479 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 402 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 152 views
Recent Topics