Dizzy, dizzy, dizzy

averybyrd
on 1/9/14 1:54 am

I don't know why or what's causing it, but I am so dizzy lately. I'm getting close to 900 calories/day. I'm getting my protein and vitamins although my iron is still low. I'm sleeping. I had my blood pressure checked just now and it's 100/69 standing. I don't think it's blood sugar related, because I have been eating today/ other times I've been dizzy (but I don't have my glucometer today at school). 

Any ideas? I'm trying to decide if it's bad enough to call a doctor and if so which one to call (primary or surgeon). I wouldn't stress so much about it, but I feel like the edges of my vision are blurry and dark like I'm just about to pass out. I HAVEN'T, but I feel bad.

poet_kelly
on 1/9/14 1:59 am - OH

How low was your iron last time you had labs done?  Low iron can cause dizziness.

When does it happen?  When you first stand up?  When you're just sitting still?  A certain amount of time after eating?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

averybyrd
on 1/9/14 2:13 am

My iron was really pretty low last time. I hadn't been able to find a supplement that worked for my tummy. I've been better about taking it since then, but it's been a couple of months since I've had it checked. 

It happens almost every time I stand up, but it also happens when I'm just sitting or standing, so I don't know!

poet_kelly
on 1/9/14 2:15 am - OH

If it's happening when  you first stand up, it sounds like orthostatic hypotension, which just means your blood pressure drops when you first stand up.  To see if that's happening, you can take your blood pressure sitting down, then stand up and take it again right away. 

Are you drinking enough liquids?  Not drinking enough can cause low blood pressure, which in turn causes dizziness.

If your iron was really low a couple months ago, you might want to get it checked again to see if the supplement you've been taking is bringing it up.  Low iron will cause dizziness.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/9/14 3:21 am

I vote for the hypotension!  I get the exact same response...especially if I have been sitting in a sitting position with my feet elevated.

I literally get the whooo! followed by sparkles in my eyesight.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

averybyrd
on 1/9/14 5:20 am

That sounds a lot like it. I mean, I'm dizzy right now sitting at my desk, but I know when I stand up in a minute that I'm going to have to hold on to something. 

So, what causes yours? And what do you do about it?

PhoenixGyrl
on 1/9/14 1:59 am - Glendale, AZ

Are you getting your water in your diet?? Try carrying a water bottle around with you.. When I feel dizzy it kind of feels like before I had surgery and I was realllly hungry .. My head would hurt and I would feel weak and dizzy.. Now when that happens I take a bite of food and sip my drink throughout the day.. I usually feel better!!!

averybyrd
on 1/9/14 2:34 am

I guess water could be the problem. I'm drinking a bunch (a protein shake in the morning, a couple drinks during classes after that, nothing after meals). But maybe I need more? I just know it's miserable!

PhoenixGyrl
on 1/9/14 3:22 am - Glendale, AZ

I'm so sorry.. Hope you figure it out soon!! 

averybyrd
on 1/9/14 5:21 am

Thanks! I emailed my doctor to find out if I should make an appointment or have bloodwork done. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon. 

Most Active
Recent Topics