5 weeks out - travel challenge

takingcontrolguy
on 1/12/14 12:08 pm - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

I travel for a living and I knew this day would come after 5 weeks grounded since surgery.  Traveled Dulles to Las Vegas via Chicago (ORD). Day one was OK - passed on all airplane food, they feed you well in first class but tried to not resort to the emergency protein bar while on layover in Chicago.  My plan still does not allow for chicken, beef, etc yet - only fish, beans, eggs, etc.  Lunch - Wolfgang Puck's tortilla soup (minus the tortilla crisps) with avocado and small amount of goat cheese.  Was amazing and filling.  It's mostly tomato and other cooked veggies.  Dinner - Rubio's mexican mahi-mahi fish tacos, minus the tortilla with delicious pinto beans and side of guacamole.  Kept the entire portion to 1/2 cup and filled up.  This will be so much easier in week 7 when I can add chicken, pork, beef meals.  I really want to teach myself how to travel and stay with the program withut relying on shakes and bars.  Very much a challenge!  5 weeks tomorrow, 41 pounds down and the energy is finally coming back - I feel almost human again!

TattooMammaRN
on 1/12/14 9:01 pm

Congrats on the 41 pounds!!!  I know what you mean about feeling human again.  I have lost 45 pounds since the surgery and I can actually reach my shoes to tie them!!!!  And the energy change is awesome.

SteveWebb
on 1/12/14 10:37 pm - NC

Can I go to work with you? LOL Your line of work sounds more exciting than mine.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

Kim S.
on 1/12/14 11:23 pm - Helena, AL

You are doing the absolutely right things!  I have never, not once, had a protein shake or a bar as "food".....my surgeon wants you back on real food ASAP.  I do carry Kashi bars when I travel just in case I'm stuck somewhere and need something to eat, or in case my blood sugar plummets.  I always have Slim Jims, nuts, Kashi bars, a banana and trail mix in my carry on bag when I fly!  I could feed the plane...then I just use these items as meals when I'm out and about (I eat 6-7 small meals a day-so these things fill in and travel well).

MickeyDee
on 1/14/14 4:04 pm

Beef or turkey jerky is also a good thing for traveling.