Personal Trainer Advise

bdaycakegirl
on 1/14/14 6:19 am

For those of you who have already had surgery, but were in PITIFUL shape before (like walking at Target hurts my back) would you suggest hiring a physical trainer before or after surgery? I feel being in better physical condition will help me heal, but then I also feel it would make more sense to hire the trainer after I dropped a few pounds and could do more. This is a gift given to me, so I won't be able to use it both. I get 5 visits.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 6:25 am - OH

I think for right now until your surgery day, I would just walk.  Brisk walking is good exercise and it's hard to do it wrong, you know?  And most people can do it even if they are really overweight and out of shape.  You can start with as little as five or ten minutes a day at gradually increase the time.

After surgery you won't be able to do much besides walking in the way of exercise for the first month or so.  But if you've been walking before your surgery, it'll be easier for you afterward.  And honestly, walking is the thing that will help with the gas pains the most after surgery.

Then I'd use the sessions with the personal trainer after your surgeon clears you to begin exercising.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bdaycakegirl
on 1/14/14 1:02 pm

Well I went for a walk tonight. Did better than I thougth I would. 0.8 of a mile. very slow, but my back made it. :D

Mary Catherine
on 1/14/14 7:23 am

I know that it is a tough decision, but I believe in doing things as soon as possible.  You can work with the trainer now to get some help at your current weight and also discuss what your plan will be as weight comes off.

My insurance required three months of a supervised diet and a supervised fitness plan before surgery.  Being in the best shape possible will help you immensely with healing and getting back to feeling great.

kbinaz
on 1/14/14 8:08 am

I was already working out with a trainer before surgery (way before) and I really do think it helped in both my recovery and going back after surgery.  For maximum weight loss benefits it would probably make sense to wait until after surgery. That being said, just make sure you do it!  I can't begin to tell you how much having a trainer helps.  Make sure whoever it is understands your surgery and is on board with it.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/14/14 8:57 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I was not in good shape prior to my surgery and I began walking 2 miles a day pre-op and then in the hospital did 2.5 miles in about 12 hours time and then started doing 2.5 miles a day until a month post-op. I then moved to the elliptical machine, yoga and Pilates. In July I started running via the C25K program and ran my first 5K about 6 weeks later. Now I am training for a half marathon. I have hired a personal trainer at times during my journey, but having one when I could not yet do 2 miles because there really wasn't anything a trainer could do to help me. Once I went to the 2 mile mark (in about 25 minutes) then I moved to a twice weekly session with a trainer. I am back with a trainer again for Warrior Training and helping build my speed and endurance. 

I think that you would be better served by working with a Physical Therapist who can devise a program for you to get into a basic fitness level and then build from there. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Karen R.
on 1/14/14 11:45 am
RNY on 04/14/13

I would wait until after your weight loss surgery (and you've been cleared by your doc to do more than walk or swim). 

I had my surgery in April and have been working out with a trainer three times a week since August.  Prior to that time, I walked, something I was able to do on my own.  I made a point of walking an hour a day right after surgery (usually broken into two half hour sessions) and then three miles a day once I was back at work.

I love my trainer, but he's expensive and he pushes me hard.  I'll bet--that if you're as out of shape as you say you are--the exercises a trainer would start you on would probably be something you could manage on your own, and/or something like walking would wind up burning the same amount of calories.

What is admittedly super great about working with a fitness professional is they know how best to use your time to get the results you want and they hold you accountable.  There have been days when I really didn't feel like going to the gym, but knowing Mark would be there waiting for me made me (wo)man up and do the work.  Just make sure you show that same dedication prior to surgery (and afterwards while you're healing).  You can save a little money that way but still begin the journey of getting more fit.

Best of luck to you!

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

basilmk
on 1/14/14 12:24 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Hey, bdcakegirl, I think we have the same Pensacola surgeon. I had my surgery a week ago and live too far to attend the support groups. Maybe we can compare notes.

bdaycakegirl
on 1/14/14 1:04 pm

Hi! How exciting. How are you doing? I can't wait to get my date, I am guessing March as they are already booked up to Feb 25 and I haven't heard a work.

bdaycakegirl
on 1/14/14 1:04 pm

I think I will wait and just work on getting up to a few miles! Thanks all.

Most Active
Recent Topics