Vitamins-@Kevin Bacon

SkinnyScientist
on 1/15/14 3:51 am

I am writing in response to a vitamin posting *I think* was by KevinBacon.  Several vets suggested my flintstones were deficient and I researched.

********They are/were right!*********  Thanks Vets!

See table 5 for the ASMBS guidelines for vitamins. I need to add in some extra iron and B-complex per this chart.

http://asmbs.org/integrated-health-document-downloads/30-ih- nutritional-guidelines/file

Good luck!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

poet_kelly
on 1/15/14 3:56 am - OH

I just want to say how much I appreciate you doing the research.  And I'm impressed because a lot of people in the past have just said "Well, my doctor says Flinstones are OK and I like them so I will listen to my doctor and keep taking them."  And people should listen to their doctors, but listening doesn't mean follow their advice no matter what it is and never looking at any other information.  When my doctor tells me something, I listen, and usually I do a little research on my own, and if I have questions I ask them and listen to the answer - and then I make the decision that I believe is best for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/15/14 4:29 am

Thank you. I am grateful that you, Moontoyou, Lora, Sonja, and other vets are here to offer support and advice.

And thanks for the inexpensive Family Dollar brand vitamin sale tip!

I do have iron in my stash of stuff..but it is not "elemental" (I think). It is Ferrous sulfate and while made up of elements, it IS a salt. So I need to research what is meant by "elemental" iron supplements and start searching for a brand if the ferrous sulfate doesnt cut it.

So, I certainly need to add iron to my pill box.  STAT!

:) 

Take care and thanks for being here!

poet_kelly
on 1/15/14 4:38 am - OH

Elemental just means it's all iron.  Ferrous sulfate in only 20% elemental iron.  The rest is iron salts, and those are what makes people constipated when they take ferrous sulfate.  325 mg ferrous sulfate is only 65 mg elemental iron.  The rest is iron salts that will make it very hard to poop.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 1/15/14 8:39 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I had a nut tell me I could take Flintsones--thankfully I didn't take them because, like you, I researched.  I take Carbonyl iron from vitalady.

I'm not quite a vet yet, I feel like I'm moving past the newbie stage but thanks for calling me one.  I'm in the "my honeymoon period is just about over phase" and I'm only losing like one pound every 3 weeks.

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/15/14 9:23 am

You really are close to your goal. Keep trying.

I dont know if you are doing weights. It may or may not be worth it. My PCOS results in some pretty crazy testerone (sp) levels and when I used them I bulked up terribly..which wasnt my goal. Seriously I was big and didnt need to get bigger!

What I found burns massive amount of calories is turbokickbox, taebo, and step aerobics. I know step has been out of fashion since the last decade but I cant beat it (except with tae bo and turbokickbox). Step is most fun. The counting down in tae bo is annoying ...

Good luck and thanks for the vitalady tip. I have been looking online and been getting some hits but they were on the spendy side.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 1/15/14 10:57 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I paid $40 for the Vitalady 60 mg Carbonyl but the bottle has 400 pills.  The pills aren't too huge and it does seem a little less constipating. 

I can't do any type of kick boxing or step aerobics :(.  I have end stage arthritis in both knees and was using a walker before RNY.  I no longer use a walker but I do need a double knee replacement.  I am a lot more active now though.  I'm just really careful with my calories since I can't exercise. 

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

SteveWebb
on 1/15/14 6:04 am - NC

Yabba dabba don't take Flintstones! LOL

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end".