Protein for Post op

worldtraveler07
on 1/16/14 6:05 am
Revision on 02/12/14 with

Hi everyone,

I am having surgery on February 13 and I want to buy a good quality protein. Went to GNC and the worker suggested that I need to consume about 131 grams of protein and recommended Amplified Protein. That is way above what my doctor recommends and I wonder if anyone has a suggestion for quality Isopure protein? Thanks

poet_kelly
on 1/16/14 6:09 am - OH

Be careful about taking nutrition advice from the sales people at GNC.  Most have no training at all in nutrition.  However, they do want you to spend a lot of money there, so it makes sense for them to recommend a huge amount of protein, far more than you really need.

You do not need 131 grams of protein.  You probably  need about half that amount.

I'm not sure what you're asking for.  Are you asking for suggestions of a brand of protein to use?  Or are you asking if people here recommend Isospure?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

worldtraveler07
on 1/16/14 6:21 am
Revision on 02/12/14 with

Hi Kelly,

recommendations would be great! I purchased Unjury as my doctor recommended it because I have a soy allergy I cannot do the Opifast. Just looking for suggestions to buy a few samples.

poet_kelly
on 1/16/14 6:36 am - OH

I would buy a couple bottles of Isopure and Cytomax ready to drink protein at GNC.  Try a couple different flavors because you might hate one flavor but love another.  Those two brands are similar but most people think one tastes better than the other.  There's no consensus on which one is the best, though!  I think they are kinda like Gatorade in flavor and consistency - not thick or milky or shake-like.  I also think they have a metallic aftertaste but some people don't think so.

You can get tons of samples at vitalady.com.  A lot of people like Syntrax Nectar but most don't like every flavor.  Again, you might hate one flavor and love another.  I love Syntrax cappuccino and drink a cappuccino shake almost every day for breakfast.  However, they have a lemon iced tea flavor that I found so gross I only took a couple sips and then poured it out.  I know people that love the lemon tea, though.  So you really just have to try a bunch of different ones to see what you like.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 1/16/14 7:13 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My vote is UNJURY.    I use chocolate flavor in my milk.  I use vanilla or unflavored flavors in my smoothies.  I don't care for the strawberry flavor.  My suggestion would be to use a shaker cup (plastic cup, wire ball inside cup, with a spouted cover) to drink your protein-made concoction in at least in the beginning because protein powder's smell might turn you off.  Drinking through the spout lessens the chance your nose will pick up on it.  (My sensitivity to the smell has disappeared over time).

chaly
on 1/16/14 7:48 am
RNY on 11/05/13

Also  keep in mind that your taste buds may change after surgery.  I had a hard time with some of the protein that I liked pre surgery.  Others I tolerated. 

dawnpsmith
on 1/16/14 8:09 am

I use Unjury and Syntrax (vanilla bean torte is heavenly!).  Isopure is the only way I'm  meeting my protein goals one week out of surgery.  Isopure is very sweet, so I dilute it and do the math.  Yesterday, I had 80 oz of liquid and 62 g of protein.  6 meals of protein jello and protein broths.

Friends K.
on 1/16/14 10:03 am
RNY on 01/14/14

My program recommends beneprotein for at least 10 days following surgery. It is a medical protein nd it is easy to digest.

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

QoftheU
on 1/16/14 1:20 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
I love their Amplified protein - it's whey and is really good. I doctor my shakes up quite a bit - my fave is vanilla with decaf instant coffee added to it - so freakin' good!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

moonandstarzz
on 1/16/14 2:29 pm - Decatur, AL
Revision on 12/18/13

GNC Total Lean shake is really good i got the premade bottles they are blue and white i really liked the chocolate it reminded me of unjury chocolate splendor im gonna trythe strawberry soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics