Pain reliever sent home on

Friends K.
on 1/16/14 8:24 pm
RNY on 01/14/14

I had surgery on Tuesday. They sent me home with Tylenol 3 with codeine .  It doesn't touch the pain I'm experiencing. What did they send you home with?

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

dawnpsmith
on 1/16/14 8:58 pm

I went home last week on Lortab (liquid).  My pain was very bearable.

K Pearl
on 1/16/14 9:17 pm
RNY on 09/18/13

I was sent home with generic Percocet. but my pain was manageable with regular Tylenol. I did use the Percocet at night though.

poet_kelly
on 1/16/14 9:24 pm - OH

I had Vicodin.  If your meds aren't helping the pain, call your surgeon's office and ask them to call in a script for something else.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/16/14 9:30 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I was sent home with Vicodin and took it three days and that was it. I would have preferred Tylenol with codeine.  I just did not have that much pain and felt the Vicodin was overkill. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

gtrdyfor50
on 1/16/14 10:42 pm
RNY on 10/08/13
I was sent home with liquid Lortab also.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 1/16/14 10:46 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I wasn't sent home with anything.  I was told to take Tylenol.  The day of surgery I was given Demerol which didn't even touch the pain.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

swardwell
on 1/16/14 11:50 pm

I was sent home with 2 mg dilaudid.  A week and a half later, I'm mostly off it.

SandraF0823
on 1/16/14 11:52 pm - CA
RNY on 12/30/13

I am almost 3 weeks out.  I was sent home with Vicodin and it did not touch the pain.  Even the morphine in the hospital didn't do much for me.  THe last 2 days in the hospital I was getting the Vicodin with a booster shot of Dilaudid (sp) and I did ok with theat, but one I lost the Dilaudid booster shot, the pain was terrible.  I called the office the day after I got home and the basically told me to suck it up, they wouldn't give me anything stronger.  I was in tears.  I do not think that they believed me.  Well, after about a week out, one of my incisions exploded with pus and blood and everything spewing out like a faucet.  It was terrible.  I went to the office and get antibiotics because it was obvious I had an infection.  Again, I begged for stronger pain meds but go nothing.  The good news is that after about 3 days on the antibiotics, the pain was nearly gone.  It was the infection that was causing me so much pain.  Once the infection started to clear up, I was good.  So, if you are having a terrible amount of pain, please keep an eye on your incisions.

I hope you feel better soon.

poet_kelly
on 1/17/14 12:16 am - OH

I know this doesn't help with the pain you had after your WLS, but I thought I'd mention it.  Last spring I had to have a breast biopsy (surgical, not the needle kind) and I was really worried about pain management afterward because about six months earlier, I'd had a very traumatic experience in which I'd gone to the ER and been denied any pain medication for many hours.  That experience made me super anxious about going to the hospital for anything and I was afraid if I had a lot of pain after the biopsy that it would trigger a lot of really difficult emotions.  So I talked to the surgeon about that before scheduling the procedure and he understood an assured me he would give me something strong enough for the pain.  So if you need to have surgery for anything in the future, pain management is something you can discuss before the procedure and hopefully that could prevent something like this happening again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics