In the hospital

Lovetocruz
on 1/17/14 4:53 pm - Nashville, NC

Surgery 12/10, back to work 1/9, recovery gone well, then sudden onset shortness of breath and coughing.  I called oncall team, waited til am as instructed unless i worsened, which I did.  I didn't mention I'm on lovenox twice a day for history of a pe.  

At 5:30 am, I awoke to rapid heartbeat along with other problems so I knew it was time for help.  Hubby and i decided to go to hospital 1 hr 15 min away, where my surgeon was, for sake of coordination of care, but 15 min into trip i suddenly felt I could not breath, with help of onstar, rescue met us on highway and took me to nearest hospital, a good one and besides my cardiologist is here.  My heartrate was 170 and in afib.  I just knew it was another pe.  Praises be to God it was not, but they are not to sure what it is.  Thinking its a flulike virus, but not flu.....but

i have learned other professionals do not understand the complications of treating patients with rny, especially recent ones.   I have to stay on guard as to what goes onto my mouth for treatment.  They had been very cooperative, just unfamiliar.  I have had to concede to steroids and potassium,(iv was not getting it).  So this unexpected leg of my journey has been a learning experience.  

When this is over, I'm a little frightened to return to my job in a clinic.  Seems my resistance is down.  I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.  This surgery really is life changing.

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/14 5:18 pm
poet_kelly
on 1/17/14 7:58 pm, edited 1/17/14 8:16 pm - OH

Wow that sounds scary.  I hope you feel better soon.

Just so you know, nearly all surgeons say steroids are OK for RNY patients.  The ASMBS doesn't advise against them, either.  It's NSAIDS we are usually told to avoid.  Taking potassium should be fine, too.  I'm assuming they decided to give you that based on your blood work.  If you were low on potassium, then it's very good they are giving it to you.

I've been in the hospital a couple times since my RNY and I did find they did not have the right vitamins and I had to have someone bring mine from home.  They also didn't have many appropriate menu items for me and I had someone bring me some protein bars and protein drinks because otherwise I would not have been able to get enough protein.  They kept trying to give me Ensure and didn't seem to understand that it had too much sugar for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LittleMiss2013
on 1/17/14 11:27 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I think rapid heart beat is a symptom of a Leak somewhere. Not sure if you can still GET a leak this far out, but might be something to consider. Anyway, wishing you a speedy recovery, and I hope you feel better soon

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

poet_kelly
on 1/17/14 11:34 pm - OH

There are lots and lots of things that can cause a rapid heart beat.  I think if the OP had a leak and that's what caused her symptoms, she'd be dead by now if she hadn't undergone treatment to fix it.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/18/14 12:04 am - OH

Just a note: a leak would cause severe abdominal pain.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/18/14 12:03 am - OH

Wow, that WAS scary!  I have a strong history of DVTs, but fortunately have never had a PE.  I elected to have a permanent IVC filter in, however, just in case.  That is something you might consult with your doctors about.

Yes, it is always good for us to be watchful about how we are being treated.  Some medical folks I have run into knew that RNYers weren't supposed to have NSAIDs but then proceeded to argue with me about Toradol being an NSAID!  (It is a first choice pain killer for kidney stones some places, rather than Dilaudid, because it also helps the inflammation resulting from the stone.)  Fortunately, a doctor came in and confirmed that I was correct.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lovetocruz
on 1/18/14 6:01 am - Nashville, NC

Thank you all for your comments.  Hope to go home tomorrow.  No unusual abd pain, in fact i can finally drink water with no pain, so my water intake is greatly improving.  Not sure about the vitamins, they probably are not the right ones, but they are monitoring my chemistries daily for the essentials.  I am taking two centrum daily at home, 1500 calcium citrate, biotin 2500mg, at b12 injection monthly.  Does that sound like what you all are taking.?  I esoecially apreeciate the feedback on the potassium and prednisone, looks like ill be on the steroid for few more days.

poet_kelly
on 1/18/14 6:21 am - OH

In addition to my multi, calcium citrate and B12, I take iron with vitamin C, and I also take D3, A and zinc, because my lab tests showed I needed more of those things.

If you're only in the hospital for a few days, I wouldn't worry about the vitamins.  Just start them again when you get home.  If you end up in the hospital for a long time, though, then I'd make sure you were getting the right things.

Most Active
Recent Topics