Down 5 sizes and 40+ pounds!

Jen Lyn
on 1/26/14 1:35 am
RNY on 11/11/13

My friends intervened and pointed out my clothes are grossly too big.  I was a tight 22W so I figured maybe an 18.  Then the salesgirl told me a 12 or 14. I laughed thinking she must work on commission. Then I got into 12s and 14s.  I still look the same when I look in the mirror.  Do any of you know how to see a more realistic me? 

SteveWebb
on 1/26/14 2:00 am - NC

Hopefully it will happen in time.  I've always seen myself as fat.  I'm on the pre-surgery liquid diet now and lots of people are pointing out that I'm looking thinner.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

karenp8
on 1/26/14 2:32 am - Brighton, IL

It just takes time. I had a hard time with this too because I had been obese my whole life. Seeing myself in pictures helped me the most. I finally accepted that I am tiny now when I saw pics of me walking a 5k and realized I was the smallest one there! You will get there too with time!

Neaucora
on 1/26/14 4:46 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I think we all go through this. It takes time. I will be two years out at the end of april, and my boss said I am a stick. Said if she didnt know me she would be calling me one of those "skinny b*****s".

I still pull clothes out of the dryer and think "OMG, my clothes shrank! They are not going to fit me anymore!"  and nope, they still fit just the same. I do feel smaller, and I notice this the most while in tub or shower. But I don't see it still. I look at old pictures and say, wow. I was soooo big!  My daughter even tells me there "isnt much" to me now, my sizes are smaller than her, only by one size, but its still soooo weird. lol   I do not know if I will ever "see" what everyone else sees, but I feel awesome. So much more energy and just comfortable. If that makes sense. Like, I can bend easier, and move easier, and even driving is more comfortable.  

I am not a rich person, and still cannot fathom spending $40 on new jeans etc. I do alot of shopping at savers and goodwill.  I would buy a couple pairs of pants and a couple shirts a few sizes too small. They were my goals. I would look at them every now and then, get excited and try them on. And I still have those goal clothes. lol. They are all too big now. I should donate them back, but they are like milestones to me too.  I am now down to a 2 to 4 depending on brands. I still dont think they will fit, but when I put them on they do.  enlightened

I am checking into a couple of classes or meetings the bariatric center holds. About body and self image. 

gtrdyfor50
on 1/26/14 5:51 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Congrats on your success! I think that it takes time to start to see the new you.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/26/14 11:11 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 26, 2014 at 9:35 AM Pacific Time, jenlyn67 wrote:

My friends intervened and pointed out my clothes are grossly too big.  I was a tight 22W so I figured maybe an 18.  Then the salesgirl told me a 12 or 14. I laughed thinking she must work on commission. Then I got into 12s and 14s.  I still look the same when I look in the mirror.  Do any of you know how to see a more realistic me? 

Could you honestly not tell you were in incredibly sloppy clothing?

I accidentally put on a pair of size 16 pants the other day (I wear a 10 typically) and they were horribly sloppy and awful on me and they went into the giveaway pile. All I can figure is that they somehow snuck in from the dry cleaner and didn't get weeded out. But you could really not tell a 22 was hanging on you and looking horribly sloppy? Please consider a therapist who can help you overcome not only your visual issues but fit issues. 

Thank heavens for your friends saying something!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Recent Topics