stinkin' thinkin'

Friends K.
on 1/28/14 1:27 am
RNY on 01/14/14

I know I'm struggling with some stinikin thinking.  My old weight loss patterns involved go on a diet (WW, Atkins, Exercise a lot) and then a month to 6 weeks later show some nice progress and then think I was "done".  Slowly, I'd revert back to my regular routine.  I'm there..I'm board with this.  I'm feeling like, I've already lost 25 lbs...my clothes fit again...sigh...

I know this a life long decision, I knew as much as I could possibly know going into it....but old habits die hard... and this is the first one I've really hit...

Did anyone else feel like this?

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

The Salty Hag
on 1/28/14 1:58 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I did get bored with the choices I had that early out, but that will get better the further out you get. At 2 weeks post op, I was still on full liquids and I got SO sick of milk-based protein drinks. Ug. I switched up what I used for protein drinks and managed to get through that stage to puréed foods. I was never so glad to eat refried beans and chicken " mush"!! 

Now, I'm a little over 8 months out...and eating the proper foods and portions is second nature to me. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

KevinBacon
on 1/28/14 2:12 am
VSG on 03/10/14

I would chalk anything you think or feel for the next 6 months up to emotional dumping. I know that our behavior patterns will nag quietly in the back of your mind telling you that you are doomed to make the same mistakes and nothing will change.. but those thoughts will get quieter over time. 

You're two weeks out. It sounds like a perfect time to schedule a talk with your mental health professional to help you unpack your feelings. 

I have had the kind of thoughts you describe a lot, and I haven't even had surgery yet. Just letting you know, it's a common thought process for those of us who have dealt with the disappointments of weight loss and failure. Not this time though. Not this time. You are going to move mountains. Have faith and kick that stinkin thinkin. It has no place in your life anymore. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Laura in Texas
on 1/28/14 2:14 am

Maybe you need to find someone to talk to. Honestly, I never felt that way. This was my last chance to get my life back. I was determined to lose all my excess weight and at 5 years out I still do whatever it takes to keep it off. For me anything less than that would be unacceptable.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

PetHairMagnet
on 1/28/14 6:25 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 28, 2014 at 10:14 AM Pacific Time, Laura in Texas wrote:

Maybe you need to find someone to talk to. Honestly, I never felt that way. This was my last chance to get my life back. I was determined to lose all my excess weight and at 5 years out I still do whatever it takes to keep it off. For me anything less than that would be unacceptable.

While I am not even a year out, I do agree that I never felt that way. At all. That was not my mindset and I hope it never is. Please do make an appointment to see someone!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/14 2:23 am

I would get to a support group.I am sure there are people who are in the same boat as you. This is a life change.Not an overnight change.

I stop myself when I am in the kitchen when I am cooking and realize I am eating while I am cooking. We have been programmed and we need to stop our bad thinking. I go see a therapist two times a month,It does help. 

Even if I don't talk about my weight sometimes life isn't easy but we can get a little help once in a while. There are so many foods that are good for you and that taste good. Just transitioning can be hard but doable.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 349 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 305 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics