RNY & Depression

Rebecki65
on 2/8/14 12:32 pm - OR
RNY on 08/20/12

I just want to put this out there.  I had RNY on August 20th 2012 and have been on depression meds for years.  In December I realized that my depression meds had stopped working.  I was taking capsules with my morning coffee and they were not being absorbed.  Went through hell all of 2013 and am just now getting back on track.  Taking tablets of my meds now and taking them at bedtime.  Last thing in my mouth before I hit the hay.  PLEASE keep an eye on your mind and emotions and mental well being if you have a mental disease.  Know yourself and recognize if you are not behaving as usual.  I ended up separating from my husband, spliting up my family and getting addicted to painkillsers as a result of my chronic depression getting worse because of malabsorbtion.  Thankfully I realized what was going on and am now on the road to recovery.  Please, check yourself, your mental state, etc. often.  I ended up not finding a new coping mechanism after the surgery and didn't keep an eye on my mental health and almost ruined my life.  Dont end up where I am.  Thankfully, I caught it before I did ruin my life. 

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!      
HW: 243  CW: 157  SW: 217
RNY: 8/20/12  Age: 48 Height: 5'3"

I've lost 86lbs!  Lost 90, but the honeymoon phase is over.  Now the real work begins!

glady
on 2/8/14 1:51 pm

thank you for your post. This is a very important issue. I also have chronic depression and anxiety and have been keeping an eye on my emotions and behaviors since my surgery. I started seeing my therapist once a week instead of once a month and made a friend through my surgeon's support group that keeps an eye on me. Like alot of people in our situation; we used food as a type of self medication and coping. I had trouble and still do have trouble adjusting to not using food to cope with my emotions.  MalAbsorption is also something im worried about with my meds. I take my meds with food or make my shake extra thick in hopes that the meds stay im my stomach and intestines longer.

There are alot of wls patients that replaced food with another addiction instead of working on the root of the problems. Take care of your self both physically and emotionally. 

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

Don 1962
on 2/8/14 11:42 pm

No shame in your game to get help and get back on track.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

averybyrd
on 2/9/14 12:49 am

Huh. It's interesting that you post this, because I actually was just writing in my journal about the exact same thing. I feel like my meds aren't working at all right now either. I'm 7 months in, so it didn't seem to take as long to stop working. I have an appointment with my GP this week, so I guess we'll have a chat. 

I'm glad you caught yours and are working to get your life back on track. Best wishes to you!

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/14 1:08 am

Thank you for sharin.Depression is a very scary thing.I suffer from it.I am on meds now I told my husband and kids to  please help and keep an eye on me to make sure I seem normal.You just posting this will help someone.

Amy R.
on 2/9/14 2:07 am

Thanks for taking time to post.  I'm glad you got it all back together and are doing better.

I just want to caution though - not everyone has problems with antidepressant capsules.  I've been on them since surgery (first Prozac and now Cymbalta) and they work fine for me.

Guess we're all as different post-op as we are pre-op!

2_be_me_again
on 2/9/14 5:11 am

Thank you for posting.  It's not always easy for us post-opers to be put in vunerable situations through self-admission.  Life after surgery is HARD work.... I believe even harder then the acutal surgery and weight loss phase. 

Hang in there kitten!

Xoxo...

B

AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

TurnThePage
on 2/9/14 6:15 am

I wonder if taking your anti-depressant med with morning coffee may have speeded it through your system (combination of the warmth and volume of fluid) making it less effective.  I take my meds with just a sip of water and then eat half an hour later in hopes the Cymbalta will stick with me all day and it seems to work for me.

Rebecki65
on 2/9/14 8:55 am - OR
RNY on 08/20/12

Thanks for all of your responses.  I think that the Prozac capsule that I drank with my morning coffee didn't even have a chance.  I would sip that cup of coffee until it was gone, perhaps pushing the pill out of my stomach and on down to the part of my intestine that doesn't breakdown/absorb.  I dunno, just a speculation.  It took a while before I caught on, so I must have been getting some of the medication, just not all of it.  I don't think the capsule had enough time to disolve and let the medicine out.

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!      
HW: 243  CW: 157  SW: 217
RNY: 8/20/12  Age: 48 Height: 5'3"

I've lost 86lbs!  Lost 90, but the honeymoon phase is over.  Now the real work begins!

PetHairMagnet
on 2/10/14 12:40 am
RNY on 05/13/13

SO glad that you caught the changes and took charge of some changes. Wishing you all the best!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!