anyone know how many calories I should be eating post op?

Teapooch
on 2/25/14 12:20 am - Canada

Feeling so confused... was told 600-800 

I am now 2 weeks post op and facing a 5 day stall and have been seeing everywhere that most early post ops are eating 400-500... Is my nutritionist setting me up for failure?

tdbull
on 2/25/14 12:55 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I think most of us don't worry about calories this early, we just make sure we are getting in the recommended protein grams. When I was 2 weeks out, I was eating around 400-500 calories to get about 65g protein, which wasn't enough, but it is all I could get in. Discuss with your NUT about focusing more on protein and staying away from high fat and high sugar content and you should be fine. I am now 6 1/2 months out and eat around 800-1000 calories a day, but still don't focus on calories. Also, if you don't use an app, I find myfitnesspal easy to track my intake to keep me on plan.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Teapooch
on 2/25/14 1:17 am - Canada

I us myfitness pal. I have 2 protein shakes per day, milk, cottage cheese, yogurt and water... I just make 60g of protein per day and those things usually put me at 700-800 calories.

marissasmith1987
on 2/25/14 9:19 am - troy, NY
RNY on 01/13/14

i just added myfitnesspal on my fav bar thank you

White Dove
on 2/25/14 1:04 am - Warren, OH

That is a lot of calories for 2 weeks out. Just because you were told to take in that many does not mean you have to.  Are those calories coming from protein shakes or from carbs like cereals?  In the beginning I was never given a calories goal, just protein goal.  I did track calories and was about 500 a day for the first three months.  

I ate no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, or cereals.  I was strictly protein for the first three months with some applesauce, sugar free puddings and jello.  Most of my meals were protein shakes with a small amount of tuna, beef or chicken.

At three months, I added salads and well cooked vegetables like in vegetable soups.  I had my first piece of toast at six months and could only eat 1/2 slice of it.  Most plans are much more progressive now and some plans were much different then.  I don't think anyone is setting you up for failure.  In the end it is up to you to decide what works for you.

I did not add any other starches until I was several years into maintenance.  Now they are a rare treat.

Teapooch
on 2/25/14 1:18 am - Canada

All I have had is protein shakes, 1% milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt.. and water of course. . And I am always between 700-800 :( so discouraged.

tdbull
on 2/25/14 1:26 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Per your plan, try getting in as much as you can from your food instead of shakes. Shakes do have a lot of calories, but are necessary if you can't get your protein from food sources. Food will stay in your pouch longer and keep you fuller. Also, don't worry about the stall - I stalled around 3 weeks and didn't lose anything, and even gained about 3lbs during the next 2 1/2 weeks. It is very discouraging when we hit stalls, but your body is just trying to adjust to either the shock of surgery and/or a fast weight loss. I was very discouraged and actually wished I hadn't even had the surgery for the first 8 weeks, too. This will pass - have faith. This works, and even at 600-800 calories, your body will lose the weight. Give yourself a break and have patience - we have the rest of our lives to make this work - it's not a race. Take care!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Ocalasam
on 2/25/14 1:33 am
RNY on 12/18/12

You're not at a stall at 2 weeks out.  Your body is adjusting to a major trauma and you were probably pumped with fluids as well.  This is not a stall.  However, 600-800 calories is what I was eating at about 6 months out.  That seems high to me.

White Dove
on 2/25/14 1:55 am - Warren, OH

Are the shakes high in calories?

Dcgirl
on 2/25/14 2:02 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I'm with White Dove - I think your shakes must be too high in calories.  The easiest,  most convenient, and most delicious shake I have found is Premier Protein.  One 11 oz shake is 160 calories, with 30 g of protein.  Two of those would be 320 calories, and then if you only have cottage cheese/yogurt/milk (try unsweetened almond milk which is lower carb and lower calories than 1% milk) you will diminish your calories greatly.  Some of the protein shakes out there are super high in calories and carbs.  And, I have found vast differences even in the same brand.  The Isopure Zero Carb unflavored is significantly lower in calories and carbs than the strawberry!  Labels, labels, labels...it's all so confusing :)

Most Active