anyone know how many calories I should be eating post op?

Teapooch
on 2/25/14 2:28 am - Canada

Diabetic boost 190 calories 16g protein.

What else can I eat 2 weeks post op that is low in calories and high in protein?

PetHairMagnet
on 2/25/14 3:03 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM Pacific Time, Teapooch wrote:

Diabetic boost 190 calories 16g protein.

What else can I eat 2 weeks post op that is low in calories and high in protein?

WAY too many calories for not enough protein, IMO.

I drink a 160 calorie shake with at least 30 grams of protein.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Racewalker48
on 2/25/14 9:40 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I am a week and a half out and my surgeon wants me to get enough fluids before worrying about calories so early.   I do take a protein shake per day, worth 200 calories and 50 grams of protein along with all my required fluids, but that's it for now.  I am still in the clear liquids/full liquids phase. 

Karen R.
on 2/25/14 11:51 am
RNY on 04/14/13

There are better choices for you out there than that.  I'd recommend the Syntrax Nectars, which have 100 calories and 23g of protein.  I like the Fuzzy Navel, Roadside Lemonade, and Grape flavors.

While your calorie count may be a little high (and I'm among those who wasn't really focused on calories at first), let's face it--even at 600-800 calories, I'll bet you're taking in less than you would have pre-surgery.  You're going to lose weight, just maybe not quite as fast as you would if you were down around 500 calories.  I wouldn't get hung up on it.  Take in your liquids and your proteins and keep sugars/starches out of your diet.  You'll get there.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

PetHairMagnet
on 2/25/14 3:02 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM Pacific Time, Teapooch wrote:

Feeling so confused... was told 600-800 

I am now 2 weeks post op and facing a 5 day stall and have been seeing everywhere that most early post ops are eating 400-500... Is my nutritionist setting me up for failure?

Everyone has their own plan. I know for me, I was several months out before I had 400. But do what your plan calls for and how your practice has had success. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

JenniPenny
on 2/25/14 4:03 am - MN

At 2 weeks out I was only on a hundred calories or so. I got all my protein from food (as per my doc) so no protein drinks-if you are allowed those you are allowed more

calories per day. I worked up to 200 calories at 2 months 30 at 3 months 600 at 6 months and 900 at 9 months. My plan called for 1200 at one year out and beyond. It

worked for me but without the extra liquid calories=protein shakes I was considered a little low on calories. I didn't worry about numbers so much as getting my protein

in for the day. At 2 weeks out you're probably not able to get in all the food and water you need yet - it will come. Don't worry about a stall???? It's too early yet. work on

setting up a new lifestyle and eating plan for yourself. Protein is the biggest concern and make sure you try to get in all your water every day.

Jen 13 yrs post op RNY

southernpeachnc
on 2/25/14 8:05 am

I agree with everyone.  Your calorie count is higher than I've seen for 2 wk post op.  In the beginning we must concentrate on protein. My plan more or less suggested trying for 600 calories.  800 is high per my plan.

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Justcallmesuz
on 2/25/14 9:17 am
RNY on 05/08/13

Gosh, everyone is different. I'm almost 10 months out and struggle to get in 900 calories a day.

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?