How does your family eat?

averybyrd
on 4/10/14 10:38 am

I'm having a hard time staying on track with my family still eating all the junk I want, but can't have. Yet I don't feel like I should demand that everyone go on a diet. 

So, here's my question: How does your family eat? Do you buy and fix things for them that you can't eat? Or do you insist they eat like you do (only more)? Or did they do it willingly? When you cook, do you cook only healthy? Or do you make 2 meals every time?

Give me the details!

jackietex
on 4/10/14 10:48 am
I try to cook healthy meals for my family. I never deep fry. I do serve them potatoes, rice, and noodles, along with a meat and vegetable. I do NOT eat the simple starches, I'm a diabetic and those are off limits. Sometimes I'll make myself whole wheat pasta or brown rice. I tend to prepare something for myself separately, mainly because my tastes have changed. The last two weeks I ate A LOT of chick pea ratatouille and my family didn't even want to try it. Yesterday I made everyone chicken and asparagus stir fry, which I enjoy too. When I make stir fry I'll eat the same as everyone except skip the rice. Being the family cook does make living the post wls lifestyle more difficult.

Lap RNY February 15, 2012
Starting weight 195 (ht. 4'10)
Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

southernpeachnc
on 4/10/14 11:45 am

I don't eat the white foods either; like potatoes, rice and sugary things.  I eat the meat (chicken, beef, etc) but in small quantities along with veggies on my list of go to foods.  i just don't eat that much.  There are occassions when I will cook things for them that I don't eat so I have my something on my list such as shrimp coctail or chicken.  They like hot dogs which I don't eat. 

This is a lifelong committment so I've tried to adjust to this fact and not make my family suffer thru only what I can have.  I don't have a problem watching them eat as they like.  I trust you will learn to do this in time.

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Louise1974
on 4/10/14 11:58 am

I am very lucky because my husband is a health conscious guy and my kids, since birth really, are accustomed to the grown ups decided what is served.  they can decide whether they want to eat it but we don't substitute other foods (we use the Divison of REsponsibility from Ellyn Satter, sooo helpful btw).  So I never ever make separate meals.  As soon as I started on soft foods I started making foods we could all eat and I would make a starch of some kind which I usually don't eat or only eat a tiny bit of.  Chicken stir fry with rice, tomato sauce with peppers and ground beef with pasta, that sort of thing.  Sometimes it is hard to have rice or pasta around that I can't eat but it doesn't call me like a bag of doritos would.  Because I don't want my kids to have a messed up relationship with food I do make sure that they periodically have a range of food including "junk food".  But it is too hard for me to have in the house.  So we will make a special trip to the store for snack and buy single serve bags of chips for them.  Or more likely we will have an activity where we make cupcakes or treats of some kind.  the kids will each have some and then we will package the rest up and deliver them around the neighborhood or to the local farmers (they are always starving!)  That works really well for me.  As much as I wish this wasn't true, it is just way way too hard for me to be surrounded by foods that don't work for me.  It is one thing in a restaurant, but the day there is a tupperware full of cupcakes on my counter is the day that I eat a tupperware full of cupcakes on the counter!  I don't know how old your kids are, but Ellyn Satters work around feeling families has been incredibly helpful for us.

averybyrd
on 4/10/14 12:49 pm

My kids are 15 and 1. The 1-year-old isn't very picky yet, so I'd love to start him off right. The 15-year-old eats all the time. More than I have ever seen! But he likes veggies and would be happy eating healthy (although he loves pasta, so I'd probably need to bring that home sometimes). 

My husband is actually the problem. As supportive as he is, he just wants to eat crap all the time. So it's in my house. Sugar cereal, bread, chips, queso dip, candy... all kinds of things I really have trouble staying away from. 

My problem is that I have zero will-power when it comes to food in the house. I'm good until I get hungry or until I get upset. Then I eat junk. 

If it wasn't here, I'd never eat it. I won't go buy it for myself. 

I don't want to be unfair, but I'm feeling like I'm being sabotaged/sabotaging myself by having it around.

Patm
on 4/10/14 11:11 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Perhaps your husband could have these things when he is out of the house. My husband sometimes buys a single bag of chips and eats it when he is walking the dog or has crap when he is at work.

I no longer have to cook for a family but when they are home we have meals that everyone can eat. If it is pasta I use spaghetti squash for me

southernpeachnc
on 4/10/14 11:34 pm

You said your husband is the problem. You also said you were good till you get hungry or upset which puts you in the boat with most of us here. It's your problem just as it has been our problem not our families problems. You'll need to learn to deal with the head hunger issues so you can have a lasting success with WLS.  I'm sorry but these are the facts.  If you have the ability to see a therapist that specialized in food disorders to get to the root issue with your emotions and food you can work past this.  If not I'd suggest you read up on books relating to food issues.  You have the ability to get to where you control food and it doesn't control you.  I'm wishing you the best on your journey.  Come back here as much as you need to!

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

MrsLitch
on 4/10/14 2:39 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

My family is a typical midwestern meat and potato type of family. I cook just as I always have. I eat the meat they eat the rest. I really don't miss it. On occasion I'll have a tablespoon of a side (pasta or potato) but I rarely have room after my meat and I don't miss it all that much. Now sweets? that is another story! They can eat chips and little debbies to their hearts content as long as it isn't one I like! I only like kettle cooked chips so I don't buy those and I buy them doritos etc that I have never liked. I like little debbies devil's squares or cupcakes so they get none of those but get nutty bars, honey buns, cosmic brownies and donut sticks that they love and I can't stand.

When I make them spaghetti I have a half cup of meat sauce (heavy on the ground beef) with about 5-10 noodles thrown in (barilla plus) and they eat it like they always have. some sauce on their noodles. On the nights they make frozen pizzas I usually bake some chicken wing pieces for their side and I just eat the wings. I have pizza maybe once every 2 months with them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Ocalasam
on 4/10/14 10:52 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

Since I am the one who does all the shopping, meal planning and cooking, they are pretty much all at my mercy!!!  I make a meat and a vegetable and occasionally a starch.  I only eat the meat and a little vegetable.  I don't eat any of the starch, which I only make infrequently.  We ALWAYS had mac and cheese or rice or potatoes as a side dish before WLS, now I almost never buy those foods.  My husband needs to lose some weight, and I have two young daughters, whom I would like not to become carbaholics like me, so surprisingly, they don't complain.  They are used to eating what I make or going hungry, so I don't think they have even realized that things have changed.  When we go out to eat, I let them get whatever they want, which is only about once or twice a month.  They are allowed carb snacks.  They eat a lot of fruit, but also gummy snacks, popcorn and pretzels.  I'm not tempted by any of that, so I purposely buy stuff that doensn't tempt me.  We never ate a lot of cookies or sweets, so they don't feel deprived now.  My biggest contributor to weight gain was fast food, which we don't do anymore.

HFA70
on 4/11/14 12:33 am

I too do the shopping and cooking for the family.  I will buy certain treats if my kids are having a movie/sleepover night with their friends, otherwise it doesn't come in the house.

I don't have many starches in the house and the ones I do have are not and never have been a trigger food for me.  I make a salad every night for dinner, even if we're having a hot veggie, my kids are very accepting to and enjoying some of the changes to our diets.

I don't have a husband to contend with, but I would hope my partner would be supportive of my/our change.

Most Active
Recent Topics