(Lab) Results are in...

Ehbeagle
on 4/15/14 10:51 pm - Virginia beach, VA

Got my six month lab results in.  Other than my calcium being a little low (which I expected) everything else is great !  Happy dance here in VA!!  So I will supplement my calcium with cal. Citrate.  No more blood pressure meds, no more blood sugar meds, and no more cholesterol meds!!  This is why I undertook this journey, and I couldn't be happier:-). As a side note, I am taking Bariatric Fusions vits and am pleased with the results.  So here's a question for the vets... What calcium citrate do you take and how big is the pill?  I worry about taking huge horse pills.  Thanks

JJ0609
on 4/15/14 11:01 pm

Good job taking care of yourself! I take Citrical Petites for calcium. They have vitamin D and calcium in them. You can take up to four a day. They are the size of Ice cubes gum. Good luck getting your calcium up. Hopefully with the weather changing you can get outdoors some and that will help, too. 

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Cunning_Pam
on 4/15/14 11:21 pm, edited 4/15/14 11:21 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Citracal Petites have 400 mg of calcium per TWO tablets. To get the appropriate dosage, you need to be taking eight to ten of them a day. Remember that we can only absorb about 500 mg of calcium at a time, so you need to space them out.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Cunning_Pam
on 4/15/14 11:16 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

I take a generic calcium citrate in a "petite" size. Each one is 200 mgs of calcium, so since we need between 1500 to 2000 mgs a day I take eight (two at a time, spaced at least two hours apart) on most days and throw in an extra one every now and then.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

karenp8
on 4/15/14 11:18 pm - Brighton, IL

I take Citracal petites as well. We need 4 servings daily which is actually 8 pills. That gives us 1600 mg of calcium citrate but each serving is two pills according to the label. You will do just fine getting your calcium up.

poet_kelly
on 4/16/14 12:09 am - OH

I take generic calcium citrate, usually the Kroger brand.  Most calcium citrate supplements are big.  If you find a small one, you'd need to take a LOT of them to get enough.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Karen518
on 4/16/14 12:49 am

I take the bariatric Advantage caramel calcium citrate chews. The are 500 mg each, so I take three a day (4 once in a while), and I find them delicious.

Congrats on your success!

dragonlove
on 4/16/14 1:24 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I also take these.  They are yummy and give me a treat while providing my calcium.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

noway2
on 4/16/14 2:23 am
RNY on 09/26/13

I use upcal-D powder that I add to a drink.  It saves me from having to take any more pills and avoid the both the nasty chewables and the super expensive ones.