Blood pressure question

nfoy413
on 4/24/14 9:16 am - Memphis, TN

I'm curious of how others have experienced the weaning off of blood pressure meds as they progress on their weight loss journey.  I have been on BP meds for the past 3 years and had WLS 5 weeks ago.  After the first week my BP dropped to 100/60 and I stopped my meds and made an appointment with my PCP.  My PCP changed my meds, removing the HTC and lowering the other half a bit.  She told me not to take them unless my BP went above 140/90.  About a week later, it went to 138/95 so I started taking the new meds and my BP went back down to normal and a little below.  With it staying down for a week, I quit taking the meds again and my BP stayed normal for another week, then went back up again.  I have been taking the new lowered meds for the last week and for the most part my BP has been staying normal.  However, after eating supper just now (3 oz of pork roast -- yummm!), I checked my BP and it was 140/99 with a HR of 95.  I am going to check it in a hour or so to see if it goes down or not. 

Has anyone else experienced this up and down -- on and off again taking meds to control it?  I will be seeing my PCP again next week and will be sure to get her insight.

Dukemom
on 4/24/14 11:36 am
RNY on 12/17/13

I've always had to wean off my BP meds slowly.  At surgery I was taking 75 mg of Metroprolol twice a day.  I dropped it to 75,50 for two weeks.  My BP was still on the low side so I dropped it to 50,50.  I've been there a few weeks, and I'm getting ready to drop it to 50,25 soon.  (I also keep track of my pulse, since I'm on a beta blocker and the heart gets used to not having as work as hard.

There is a great app for iPad called : "BP Monitor"; you can easily record the date of time of the measurement, BP and pulse, what meds/doses you are on that day, and there is a place for notes as to how you are feeling.  It's easily shared with your Dr so he/she has a better idea how your titration of the dose is working for you.  Good luck!

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

MickeyDee
on 4/24/14 4:33 pm, edited 4/24/14 4:33 pm

My physician told me to cut it by 25%, wait a week or two, cut another 25%, repeat.  If I felt woozy, etc., maintain the dosage for another week, then try the next reduction until weened off.  Worked good for me, YMMV. (Your Mileage May Vary)

Grim_Traveller
on 4/24/14 10:34 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Mine dropped like a rock and stayed there. I was off all meds right after surgery. My BP now runs about 95/60 usually. I haven't had any ups and downs.

I hope you get it straightened out.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

cwilliams65
on 4/26/14 9:21 am
RNY on 05/05/14

This is an interesting post for me to read.  I, too, am on BP meds.  My gastric bypass is on May 5 and I've been wondering how/when/where my BP will go.  I did get information from my cardiologist that when my BP is consistently under 120 to call him for advice on how to lessen my dosages.  I hope I can get rid of all my BP meds at some point.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics