Just a few questions!!!

melly2014
on 5/12/14 7:41 am

Hello everyone!

I have a few questions about the gastric bypass surgery. I'm going in for my consultation this Friday, 5/16. Does anyone know if I can have a laparoscopic procedure done since I've already had one preformed when I had my gallbladder removed? I've heard so many horror stories about life after the procedure, such as people being sick all the time. I'm thinking maybe they are just not eating properly? I'd love to hear some input on this. I'd love to hear positive experiences. Also, I'm terrified about the hanging skin. Is this true? If so, what can I do other than have plastic surgery? My husband and dad are both being supportive of my decision, but my mother and sisters are trying to convince me otherwise. I've been overweight all my life and at age 31 with a six year old and two year old, I know it's time for a change. I want to be able to live long enough to see them grown with families of their own, I'd love to run around outside without becoming tired withing 10 minutes. Dieting and exercise have failed me in the past, I'd lose a few pounds and the weight would stop coming off. I'm hoping this surgery will help me live a better life for me and my family.

poet_kelly
on 5/12/14 7:45 am - OH

Having had a previous lap procedure doesn't mean you can't have another.  But your surgeon will have to tell you if a lap procedure is appropriate in your case.

Most people are not sick all the time.  If they are, they might not be eating properly or might have some sort of complication.

Some people end up with a lot of excess skin, others not so much.  The only way to remove excess skin is plastic surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karin602
on 5/12/14 8:11 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I had lap gallbladder surgery and having it did not prevent the run being done lap. Although I have had some recent medical issues none were because of the surgery. In fact I am off all diabetic meds and had been on daily insulin and byetta. Also clap and night supplemental oxygen is gone. I do have sagging skin but not sure about having more surgery due to my other medical issues. I just don't plan on wearing a bathing suit in public and the rest is covered by clothes.

Karin

indybuttercup
on 5/12/14 12:32 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I love my any. I am 7 years out, lost 300 lbs and can eat anything. No complications.Dr said skin only goes back on patients in their 20's.  I just had skin removal. Be healthy and eat a lot of protien expecially right after. :)

tdbull
on 5/12/14 2:37 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had 2 lapband surgeries laprascopic and then my revision to RNY and gallbladder removal laprascopic. No issues. I love my RNY. I have no problems eating. I do stay away from white carbs, sweets and fats, but don't really miss them. This was the best decision I ever made. When I
Ost all of my weight with the first band, I did have loose skin so had lower body lift including thigh lift. Now I am an even lower weight and may be looking into an arm lift next. I personally would rather deal with scars over loose skin. Because of all of my yo yo dieting I had no elasticity left in my skin. You being young may have a much better outcome than I do. My mother has bad skin too so likely some of my problems are genetic.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

karenp8
on 5/12/14 11:24 pm - Brighton, IL

I had my rny done about two years ago on August 29,2012 after being overweight my whole life. I used to love to camp and go out on our boat during the summer ,but at a bit over 260 pounds it was too hard to get around. My back and my knees hurt everyday and I was out of breath going down the stairs to my basement. I had uncontrolled high blood pressure on three pills,high cholesterol and diabetes. I now have good blood pressure on two low dose pills,normal cholesterol reading and a normal blood sugar. I never get back or knee pain and walk about 3 miles a day just because I can. I can eat most things except sweets and white carbs which make me feel unwell. I follow my doctors plan and measure my food still when I am at home. I eat out occasionally with my husband and live a much fuller and more active life now. I went from a size 24 (tight) to a size 0 and I am thankful every day for my surgery. I do have some saggy skin but with clothes on I look amazing. I am 54 too so I knew skin would probably be an issue. Your younger age probably will help there. Best of luck on your journey.

clr055
on 5/13/14 6:52 am - Lewisville, ID

I am the same age as you are! I just submitted my paperwork to the surgeon I selected and am waiting to hear back from the insurance. I am 290 lbs and sagging skin has also been a concern of mine. But I would rather hide that with Spanx then try and go clothes shopping as a fat woman (all the clothing for woman of size is awful awful). Because of our age I am going to bet that most of the skin comes back pretty darn well. I personally have started taking VERY good care of the areas that I know will be my problem areas (stomach) and am hoping that will help as well. I have also heard that doing weight training as soon as you are able will help so the muscles under the skin can help pull it in. Don't let something as silly as excess skin stand in your way, if you have the ability to do this then do it!

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/14 9:21 am
RNY on 12/16/13

I had a robotic lap hysterectomy in October followed by my lap RNY in December.  No problems with the multiple lap surgeries!  I have some hanging skin, not as much as I worried I might have at this point.  One of my primary reasons for having the surgery is to see my 1 year old granddaughter grow up.  I am able to chase her around the house, get on the floor (and easily get back up), and have a lot more energy.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 327 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 327 views