depression post-op

slrm2m2
on 5/16/14 9:48 am - Canada

I think article is really on to something.  I know that when I indulge in refined carbs, I sleep like a baby and feel pleasantly stoned out of my mind....hello serotonin.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-antidepressant-diet/ 201403/depression-after-gastric-bypass-surgery

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

basilmk
on 5/16/14 10:13 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing the link.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

averybyrd
on 5/16/14 11:40 am

That is interesting! I definitely have noticed that I have more episodes of depression (actually more highs and lows) since I've started really losing weight. I don't think carbs alone are the culprit though. I think it's far, far more complicated than that.

selhard
on 5/17/14 1:49 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Complicated is a good word, averybyrd.  I've read everything from it's hormones, the brain needs a year to catch up to the rapid weight loss, grieving period, honeymoon period, anti-depressants aren't absorbed, depression sets in when all the outside attention subsides, regain is when the true struggle begins...the list goes on.  Aaaahh; seems like we need to be grateful for every day things do go right!

slrm2m2
on 5/17/14 8:43 am - Canada

I'm well over my honeymoon period at 28 months out and my mood is still different than it was pre-op.  I have both periods of more pure contentment and more pure despair.  I was on anti-depressants again for a while, but they never felt exactly the same a pre-op, likely an absoprtion issue.  There appear to be many only somewhat known and partially guessed at elements to this surgery...gut-brain hormone interaction that regulates many things including hunger signals.  I agree, its very complicated and best thing for us to do is probably to note our own individual post-op patterns with mood and eating than manage them and adjust our lifestyle routines accordingly. 

My PMS has been horrible post-op, but who knows if its just because I'll be turning 45 this month or if its because of the wls.  That's one of the hard things to know, with many mood or other subtle health changes...they may have happened anyway or they may be related to the wls.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics