Is it true they have to go in and clean out your bowels before surgery?

mama_dee54
on 5/18/14 5:03 am

I never heard this but it was on another post. I was told what to drink night before to clean out . 

Cunning_Pam
on 5/18/14 6:07 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I doubt that there's anything else you need to worry about. I've asked for more information on the post you mentioned, since I've never heard of any additional "cleaning out" needing to be done after the pre-surgery diet. If there is anything additional that needs to be done, it's definitely done once you're under the anesthesia, so it's nothing to be concerned about at any rate. Just follow your surgeon's instructions to the letter regarding what to eat and drink before your surgery, and when, and you'll be fine.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

mama_dee54
on 5/18/14 6:30 am

Thanks Pam ! I just have not heard of that. Right now I am getting anxious about everything. Still going for that scope Friday and then hopefully the last Nut and doctor visit will get  made. This stuff takes forever !  .  

MrsLitch
on 5/18/14 7:34 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

never heard it. You haven't eaten since midnight for most surgeries so there is nothing to clean where they are operating that I'm aware of even if you don't have a bowel prep which I did not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

poet_kelly
on 5/18/14 7:35 am - OH

No.  They aren't operating on your bowels.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tdbull
on 5/18/14 8:20 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Never heard of it and didn't have to do it.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

mama_dee54
on 5/18/14 8:31 am

Thanks guys ! You eased my mind again.  I like being able to ask a question and get some answers right away ! I am sure there are probably exceptions to every rule . Looks like for most this is a big NO GOT TO !  

robynimac229
on 5/18/14 8:53 am
RNY on 08/21/13

I only heard of it the day of my surgery. The doctor mentioned that while under he first goes in and cleans everything out before doing the procedure. Maybe not all doctors do this, but I know mine did. I am sure no doctor wants us eating steak and potatoes a few days before we go under, but I see the importance now of why they want you as emptied out as possible.

Whether your doctor does this or not, you won't be awake for it anyhow.

Robyn

HW 249 -  CW 158 - GW 115  Blog: http://robynsweightlossjourney.blogspot.com/

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

EmmyK
on 5/19/14 3:16 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

They might be doing a gastric lavage to make sure that the stomach is empty, but even when we do colon resections, we don't go in and do enemas or any type of cleaning out.  The surgeon I worked with, who did my elective colon resection, said that in many parts of Europe, they don't even do bowel preps for elective cases.  The staplers do their job.  That being said, I was asked the morning of my surgery if I did a prep.  I suppose some doctors do it.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Toni4321
on 5/19/14 2:26 am

My dr had me take a concoction , similar to movi prep that leaned out my bowels the night before surgery