Getting my fluids and protein-10 days post op

Ladybug81
on 5/30/14 9:59 am

Today marks day 10 post op and I am on a full liquid diet. I mostly do atkins shake and tomato soup. Basically I am still trying to figure out my pouch and my biggest issue is getting my water and still being able to get my protein. I focus on the protein but I am so dehydrated. I feel like I have to choose between the two because I get so full with just an ounce and then I hurt if I try again later. They told me to be drinking a sip every 15 min. How long does it take for my pouch to empty because if I do every 15 min I am hurting. I can do a sip every hour but then I am only getting 1/2 atkins shake in, 1/2 cup of soup, and 8 oz of water, that's ALL DAY. Sometimes a Popsicle before bed. How can I stay hydrated and get protein? I was thinking of just focusing on the shake. I don't want my hair to fall out and I am so afraid of stretching my tummy or disrupting my staple line. Thank you 

Grim_Traveller
on 5/30/14 10:17 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Fluids go through very quickly. A sip is through in just a few seconds.

It may be uncomfortable, but a trip to the hospital for IV fluids will be a lot more uncomfortable. Just keep a bottle next to you, and sip, sip, sip. It will get a little better every day.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 5/30/14 11:29 am - OH

Since protein shakes ARE liquid, you can stay hydrated and get your protein at the same time. Atkins shakes are relatively low in protein, though.  One shake has, what, 15 grams of protein in how many ounces? I think it's more than eight ounces, isn't it?  Compare that to one scoop of Syntrax Nectar mixed with eight ounces of skim milk - that gives you about 30 grams of protein in an eight ounce shake.  Or compare it to the Isopure ready to drink protein drinks, which have 40 grams of protein in a 20 ounce bottle.  Those might be easier for you to get down before they are very thin, the consistency of water rather than milk.

Your pouch will empty in just a couple of minutes, especially if you're just taking a sip.  You should be able to take a sip every five minutes or so.

You cannot stretch your tummy or hurt your staple line by drinking. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladybug81
on 5/30/14 2:58 pm

Ok thank you all. I guess I need to try something other than the Atkins. I wonder why I can't drink so often if it passes through only after a few minutes. I hurt so much if I drink too often.

poet_kelly
on 5/30/14 9:38 pm - OH

Try room temp or warm liquids, like tea.  Those may feel more comfortable.  Take small sips but you should definitely be able to take more than one sip in 15 minutes.

You probably still have a lot of swelling in your pouch and at the stoma (which the small intestine is attached to the pouch).  Call your surgeon if you have so much pain you just can't drink more.  but if it feels uncomfortable but you can do it, then do it anyway.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladybug81
on 5/31/14 8:49 am

Thank you, warm does work better bc I do better with my soups. I told my doctor and he just said take smaller sips and don't gulp. I am also a revision from a stomach staple so that may be it. Today was much better. I am on my 2nd protein shake and I had about 8 oz of water with this fruit flavor protein syrup. I don't have the money right now to buy anything other than the atkins I already have but I added some extra protein powder in it and blended it so I think I had a good 30 grams in one shake this morning. Doc said if I get at least 30 grams a day I will be fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics