22 Months Post op

karenp8
on 6/29/14 5:21 am - Brighton, IL

22 months ago I was recovering from my surgery. I had been overweight or obese my whole life. I had diabetes,high blood pressure,high cholesterol and constant knee and back pain. I weighed 258.5 the day of surgery but know at one point I was over 260 pounds. I wore a tight size 24 pants and most days I felt very unwell and in constant pain from my rheumatoid arthritis. I was the first patient my rheumatologist had ever referred for gasytric bypass. He wasn't sure but I knew this was what I needed to do to get control of my weight and my life. Today I am 140 pounds lighter and loving my new healthier life. Iwalk 3 miles a day and bowl and hike now too. My blood sugars and cholesterol are normal with no medication,and my blood pressure is normal on one low dose pill. The back and knee pain is gone,even on days when I am very active. I feel like a new person! At 55 years old I feel better than I did at 25! If you are considering this surgery or a new post op who is struggling, hang in there! It will get better. Every day is work as you make choices to exercise or follow your surgeons eating plan,but it is doable. I exercise every day and measure my food every meal that I am at home but I have been maintaining at 120 to 123 for thirteen months. I am thankful every day for my surgery and my reluctant rheumatologist is now a believer too and has referred 3 other patients to my surgeon now. You have all been a support too,and I thank you for that!

JenniPenny
on 6/29/14 6:12 am - MN

Nice to read your success story. I also am 56 and feel 25. I'm 13 yrs out from surgery and believe me it gets even better. I exercise, eat well, have fun and am so glad I had this surgery. thanks for sharing - wishing you continued success!

Jen RNY 2001

Dartmouth
on 6/29/14 6:21 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

What a great testament!   Thanks for the encouragement...it gives me a sense of finality to the struggle and reminds me what I am doing it for!  

Thanks so much!

LeapSecond
on 6/29/14 6:42 am - AR

I just signed in yesterday.  I am near the beginning of my WLS journey.  I hope to be able to say things you have said in 22 months.  (I do have my surgeon picked.)  Thanks for the post. Your story is such an encouragement. 

Crosby
on 6/29/14 7:20 am

Thanks for sharing. I have not been at a healthy weight for nearly 30 years and my joints are in horrible shape. To walk without pain must be amazing .

dawnakers
on 6/29/14 10:36 am

Yes....thanks for your post.  I am 51 and my surgery is scheduled July 21st.  I hope I can do as well as you.  CONGRATULATIONS!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 402 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.