Humiliation

MichellesJourney
on 7/12/14 2:54 am
RNY on 04/09/14

I am so sorry you had to go through that.  Have a great day!!!

Tracy D.
on 7/12/14 2:54 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The attendant was insensitive and didn't practice good customer service but she did NOT violate HIPAA.  She doesn't work for a covered entity (hospital, doc office, etc) and is under no legal obligation to keep your medical info private.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kate -True Brit
on 7/12/14 2:55 am - UK

Insensitive maybe. But why on earth should staff in a restaurant be bound by any laws governing patient confidentiality?

And in a restaurant, the food is only part of the bill. Did you want half the amount of lighting, staff time, cleaning, washing-up, whatever business taxes companies pay in the US? Children's meals are cheap to encourage adults in. I suggest you do like most bariatric patients and order a starter, or a main meal with a take-home box?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

saterry
on 7/12/14 3:45 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

Because you are not THEIR patient my dear, you are a customer !

Just because you tell someone your medical information does not bind them to HIPPA !

Should the car wash guy be bound ? Paper boy ? Dog walker ?

Rude yes....violation of manners not HIPPA

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

saterry
on 7/12/14 4:03 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

NOT you Kate....was ment for OP ! oops

Kate -True Brit
on 7/12/14 5:27 am - UK
On July 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM Pacific Time, saterry wrote:

NOT you Kate....was ment for OP ! oops

Well, actually, I am deeply offended, mortified, shocked and, of course, HUMILIATED. I took it totally personally and may well delete my post and deactivate. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

saterry
on 7/12/14 5:44 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

SWEET Jesus the MASTER PLAN is working ! I will have absolute power in NO time !!!

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 7/12/14 7:12 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

NHPOD9
on 7/12/14 4:23 am

Wow.  I'm speechless that you thought a simple card (which anyone can make with a printer) would entitle you to cheaper food.  Did your bariatric center state that all restaurants were legally obligated to take them?  If so, they are wrong and should be informed to stop stating as such.  If not, why did you think that they were?

Like everyone else said, this is not a HIPPA violation.  You voluntarily shared your medical information with her and she is not in the medical field.  While announcing it over the loudspeaker was probably embarrassing, I truthfully would have been embarrassed to even ask for a discount because I selected WLS.

By the way, many all-you-can-eat establishments will sell you food by the pound.  You can get a to-go box and fill it as full (or as not) as you like and then just pay for what you want.   

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

poet_kelly
on 7/12/14 4:57 am - OH

It is not a HIPPA violation.  HIPPA is related to your health insurance and health care providers.  There is no law, HIPPA or otherwise, that says a restaurant employee can't ask a manager loudly or over a speak how to but a gastric card thing into a computer.

And it may be the wrong card in terms of the card or cards that restaurant accepts.  No restaurant is obligated to accept any type of card requesting a discount.  It's not like it is a coupon the restaurant issued.  It's a card your surgeon made up asking them to give you a discount.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics