Humiliation

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/12/14 5:18 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm rather shocked that newly post-op people are so ignorant.

• Not all patients get restaurant cards, they don't always say the same thing, and many of us who have them don't use them.

• Restaurants are under no legal obligation to give you any sort of discount; the card is more of a polite request.

• A buffet is generally the least likely of any restaurant to honor a card. A half-portion at a sit-down place makes sense, but not so much with an all-you-can-eat situation.

• As others have pointed out, this was rude of the employee, but not a HIPAA or ADA or other legal violation.

• When you're very newly post-op, eating out is difficult and it's very important to make smart choices. A buffet, especially somewhere with few-to-no healthy options like Golden Corral, is not a smart choice.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

poet_kelly
on 7/12/14 5:45 am - OH

I think Golden Corral has a number of healthy options.  They always have plenty of salad fixings, lots of veggies, some fruit, probably some healthy meat options as well (although as a vegetarian I never pay attention to those) and I've even seen no sugar added desserts there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/12/14 5:55 am
RNY on 12/31/13

None of which a person who is less than 30-days post op can eat.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/12/14 6:01 am - OH

I was able to eat moist poultry and tender cuts of beef before I was 30 days post op (I started soft foods Day Three), so I would have been able to eat their baked chicken or some of the pot roast and then maybe a small bite or two of an easy to digest fruit or veggie.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 7/12/14 7:12 am - OH

I could eat cooked veggies when I was two weeks post op.  But I don't know what the OP's meal plan is.  I assume she thought there was something she could eat there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 7/12/14 10:27 pm - Burleson, TX

Sure we can! I think I was about a week out, and HAD to get out of the house...I went, with the family to GC...and swiped some SF jello...and I haven't eaten ANY since then  ...and that was over 12 YEARS ago...

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

dragonlove
on 7/15/14 9:27 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Yes, I agree, they do have a number of healthy option. Often Fish or grilled chicken is a meat choice. 

For the OP, I've found that Golden Corral will usually give you the Senior pricing with a WLS card. (I've been told that is the corporate pricing for WLS.) Usually I don't have to show the card, but I often do.  (My family likes this restaurant for certain gathering because everyone can find at least something to eat so I've eaten at several of them.) Since that is only a 60-80 cent difference, it often isn't worth the hassle.

I'm sorry the OP had to deal with that rudeness and embarrassment.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

loseafew
on 7/17/14 11:25 pm
with

Hi All, This is my first day on this site. I am having surgery in 2 weeks. I normally dont comment on forums but i always get great information. I have read this entire thread and was really suprised at some of the answers. It is pretty clear that the original poster was very misinformed about many things. Privacy rights, percieved entitlements, etc. It seems to me that the post made some members angry. Maybe because you all have worked so hard for your weightloss. You didnt think you were entitled to special treatment! You know that the only one who has to be proud and impressed with you is yourself! You have denied yourselves the (luxury?) of eating at buffets because you have made a concious effort to not only lose weight but to change your LIFE STYLE. The original poster seemed to have the wrong ideas about EVERTHING. But, no matter how it made you feel, i think all replys on a SUPPORT forum should be kept on the polite side. Not warm and fuzzy, just polite. Some of you have replyed that you werent being mean. Im not saying you were. But understand that reading this thread as prompted me to write my first reply EVER. So, maybe there is something to it? Congratulations to you all for any and all successes and good luck in the future.

pamela258
on 7/12/14 5:24 am
with
I went to Golden Corral around Thanksgiving. Asked for a to go plate and they weigh it and charge you by the weight. I ate there with my family from my to go plate and took the leftovers home and had 2 other meals. No card required!

RNY - 8/12/2013

VSG on 06/12/13

This is a great idea! (Stores this one away...)

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics