Anemic?

cpinck
on 8/6/14 6:41 am - Henderson, KY

Has anyone had an issues with being anemic after surgery?  I had my surgery in 2006.  I'm extremely disappointed with the results but that's beside the point.  I take my iron supplements religiously and try to get in foods with iron but I am still anemic.  Anyone having the same issues?

Thanks!

Cherri

poet_kelly
on 8/6/14 7:51 am - OH

Lots of people, though most are able to resolve iron deficiency by taking more iron and taking a type we absorb well, such as carbonyl iron.  A few seem unable to absorb enough no matter what they do and must rely on iron infusions.

What type of iron have you been taking?  How much?  Do you make sure you take it at least two hours away from calcium?  Do you take it with vitamin C to increase absorption?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/6/14 9:38 pm

I am 6 years out.  I needed iron infusions.  

Some people do good with oral iron, but some need iron infusions once in a while

My last one 2 years ago only lasted me 2 years. Hope this one - last month - would last me more than that.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MarshaAnne
on 8/7/14 12:17 am

I am also 6 years out and became severely anemic in 2010. It's now being managed by a hematologist using a combo of iron pills and IV iron infusions.  At the same time (2010), my potassium started tanking. I was hospitalized 4 days for that. Still an ongoing struggle to keep it up. 

~ Marsha - RNY January 29, 2008

highest weight 297 (5'0")

Day of surgery weight 272

lowest weight 169

current weight 184

Pegasus_AM
on 8/7/14 6:53 am

I can't comment on anemia after WLS but I had a spinal fusion in March/2014 and I've been taking 900 mg of iron (ferrous sulphate) religiously since then and they can't seem to get my iron levels to go above 9 and my hemoglobin won't go over 100. My doctor is currently considering iron infusions to get my iron stores back to normal. If they can't fix my anemia it may be a major stumbling block to me getting WLS surgery. I hope they figure out what's going on Good-Luck :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views