No Birth Control?!

kayleystar
on 9/2/14 11:47 am
RNY on 01/06/15

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS A TMI POST.

So, I had my pre-op/nutrition class today. They had us fill out a current medication chart, and the nurses made notations on what we can take the day of surgery, and what needs to be avoided. The nurse noted that I need to stop taking my birth control one week before surgery. I actually don't use B.C. as a contraceptive (hubby has had a Vasectomy for 7 years), it's to regulate my period....and actually, my OB/GYN has me taking 2 per day and not skipping a week, due to the excessive amount of blood I lose. 

I'm severely anemic, due to the fact that I had a HEAVY period daily for over 6 months. I'm on prescription strength Iron to bring up my numbers before surgery. However, if I miss more than one day of pills, my period will be back in full force. And I'm talking about the kind of blood loss that requires the highest protection of tampons to be changed every 45 mins (sorry that's way TMI). I'm worried that if I stop taking the B.C. per the nurse's orders, that my Iron is going to dip drastically again.

Has anyone been in this situation? I'm going to try and call the surgeon's office, but wondered if any of you lovely ladies have had an issue with this? Really worried that if my Iron is so low, they may postpone the surgery. 

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

Sherrie P.
on 9/2/14 11:58 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Yikes, you must be careful with this RNY and your anemia! You will have to stay on top of your iron for sure. That sounds miserable. I would call your OBGYN and your surgeon. Maybe they could pow-wow. They will ultimately do what is best for your health and safety during the surgery.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

poet_kelly
on 9/2/14 11:58 am - OH

Call your surgeon and ask what you should do in your case.  I don't know what the answer will be but the surgeon should know how to address it. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jenn S.
on 9/2/14 12:13 pm - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

I did not have to stop my birth control before surgery.  I also take it for medical reasons not related to pregnancy prevention. The only med I had to stop was my HBP meds. I am assuming this must just be surgeon preference and once you explain the risks of being off the meds, he will change his mind.

HLen
on 9/2/14 1:44 pm
RNY on 07/11/14

I also did not have to stop mine.  I take it for both Birth Control reasons and medical reasons.  

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

NYMom222
on 9/2/14 2:36 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I take post-menopausal hormones that they wanted me to stop before surgery. I spoke to my gynecologist and he said no don't stop them. I let them know. The reason they wanted me to stop was because of increased risk of blood clots. They weren't happy about it but I told them, I can't just go on and off this, it's not that simple. He gave me medicine for blood clots after surgery instead. The medicine was for 10 days.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

kayleystar
on 9/2/14 9:49 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

In my pre-op class, they discussed medicine we'll be taking via injection daily for 6 weeks to prevent blood clots, so maybe since I'll be taking that, the risk won't be as great, and I'll be able to continue with the B.C.

kayleystar
on 9/2/14 9:48 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

Thank you ladies! I'm definitely going to be calling my surgeon today, along with my OB/GYN. I'm hoping maybe I can stop taking it just a couple of days prior, so the blood loss isn't as drastic, or perhaps they'll let me get the shot to tide me over. 

juluch
on 9/2/14 10:27 pm

Are you aware the pill won't absorb well after surgery?  I changed to the bc patch.  It gives me heavy periods, so after 3 months we have decided to change my script to 6-9 weeks of patch and then allow a week off for period, than back on patch.  Best wishes for a successful surgery!

kayleystar
on 9/3/14 9:11 am
RNY on 01/06/15

My OB/GYN believes that my wonky cycle is weight related, so I'm really hoping that once I can drop some weight, it'll normalize itself! (Fingers crossed). 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 430 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 363 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics