How long do pureed foods stay in pouch?

Han Shot First
on 10/26/14 2:07 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I'm three weeks out from surgery tomorrow, and I have a question about pureed foods.  From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong), liquids pass right through the pouch.  But how long do pureed foods stay in the pouch?  I've tried looking around, but I haven't been able to find this answer.  Thanks!

momjan
on 10/26/14 5:29 am - Canada

I suspect everyone is different and I can't answer that for you. However, the denser the food and the less liquid in it, the longer it will stay put.....and this is one of the reasons not to drink anything for at least a half hour after eating; so you don't just push the food through and become hungry feeling again.

NYMom222
on 10/26/14 9:36 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I don't have an exact answer but I would think pureed foods go through faster. A normal intact stomach keeps the food for 1/2 hour. They call things like soup, yogurt, pudding, ice cream 'slider' foods because they -slide right through-. Probably not as quick as liquids... Early on you need them no matter what, it's later on when you can eat more that you have to be careful to watch your portions so you don't overeat on them. (or in the case of ice cream not eat it at all.) Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

MyLady Heidi
on 10/26/14 11:03 am

Anything pureed passes right through, it is liquidified.  Eat what you are allowed, never a bite more and once you trust yourself you will know your limit.  I have not easten a meal in nearly ten years where I did not leave something on the plate uneaten.  And I only serve myself the amount I know I can reponsibly eat.

White Dove
on 10/26/14 12:28 pm - Warren, OH

To get a good picture in your mind put a funnel in a glass and then pour a serving of applesauce into it.  The opening in your stomach is smaller than the size of dime and a funnel will give you a good visual.  Watch how long it takes the applesauce to drip through.  A lot slower than water and a lot faster than dense protein would. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Han Shot First
on 10/27/14 1:35 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I really love the funnel analogy!  I'm nowhere near feeling hungry yet, but I was curious about the timing.  Thanks!