Protein Shakes after surgery - Yay or Nay

Angelique J.
on 12/1/14 2:24 pm - Allentown, PA

When I read the daily what are you eating menu it seems like some people still drink them. When I read advice for people who have stalled people say make sure you are getting your protein from solids and not drinks. So, protein from drinks after surgery, yay or nay?

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

charminglearner
on 12/1/14 2:30 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

Yay.  If you stayed on them forever that would be a problem.  But for me its the best way to get my protein in as I experiment to see what real food protein I can tolerate. 

I have no idea about stalls.  I thought they were normal and just natural when losing weight.  

poet_kelly
on 12/1/14 8:02 pm - OH

Why would it be a problem to stay on them forever?  I am more than six years post op and have one for breakfast almost every morning?  Why is that a problem?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sarahakers11
on 12/1/14 11:36 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

While only 18 months out me too.  I have at least 10g in my coffee every morning and often a 30g in the afternoon. 

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

mdaggett
on 12/1/14 6:06 pm
RNY on 11/19/14

I say Yay as well.  What I do is make out my daily menu and fill in the lack of protein with a shake.  I am having about one shake a day now and I have just started the puree stage. 

Michele

http://stuffmybrainthinks.com/

H/W 297 S/W 244 C/W 234 G/W 148

Grandmaneice
on 12/1/14 7:35 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

I am 8 months out and still have one every morning.  It's a good way for me to get my protein in.  Would love to hear what others have to say about them, being farther out than me.

poet_kelly
on 12/1/14 7:59 pm - OH

I look at them as just one more food choice that is high in protein.  There are pros and cons to them just like any other choice.  If you like them and/or need the protein, use them.  If you don't like them and get enough protein from other sources, don't use them.  Keep in mind that dense protein will usually keep you feeling full longer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/1/14 8:06 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

YAY.  I am 10.75 months out and I often use one for breakfast.  

Every program is different, but mine recommends using one a day after the first 5 months, as long as you get 50 or more grams of protein from real food in addition.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Ocalasam
on 12/1/14 9:41 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I drank one for breakfast every morning for 18 months.  For me it was quick, easy and a good protein source.  Now, that I'm 2 years out, I try not to drink my calories.

yankeescl
on 12/1/14 10:06 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

I still drink on everyday as a snack.  Give me that extra boost of protein and keeps my pouch feeling full.  I don't see a problem with it, as long as it keeps me on track.