heartburn still....womp womp

cspotrun
on 1/12/15 8:56 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I chose RNY over sleeve primarily because I had heartburn.  I really did think it would be resolved with RNY, especially because I didn't have heartburn before I got heavy.  Anyway, at 3 months post op I tried going off the PPI, and heartburn returned.  I waited a week just to see if it was a rebound effect, but no such luck.  Now at 6 months, I tried again, and again it came right back.  Bummer!

Karen   

Emiepie
on 1/12/15 10:41 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Such a bummer. I didn't realize I had heartburn or acid reflux pre-surgery until I had my upper GI done and then having the hiatal hernia repaired during surgery. I am now taking a PPI as well because I had a "lump in my throat" feeling pretty consistently. It seems to help. 

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

cspotrun
on 1/12/15 10:57 am
RNY on 07/01/14

yea I feel fine when I take the PPI, I was really just hoping to be off of it.  I would'v had the sleeve if I had known I would still have heartburn.  O well.  Hope yours resolves too!

Karen   

Chilipepper
on 1/12/15 10:44 am
On January 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM Pacific Time, cspotrun wrote:

I chose RNY over sleeve primarily because I had heartburn.  I really did think it would be resolved with RNY, especially because I didn't have heartburn before I got heavy.  Anyway, at 3 months post op I tried going off the PPI, and heartburn returned.  I waited a week just to see if it was a rebound effect, but no such luck.  Now at 6 months, I tried again, and again it came right back.  Bummer!

Have you spoken to your surgeon. It does sound like a possible hernia. GERD is not the norm for bypass patients.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

cspotrun
on 1/12/15 10:56 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I have my next appointment in a couple weeks so I'll ask him then.  I figure he would've repaired it if it were there during surgery right?

Karen   

RNY on 10/21/13

Although not the norm, it does occur in a small percentage of patients. I believe my surgeon told me that RNY 'cures' 95% of reflux, but that means 5% of us are not 'cured." Grrrr.

I do agree that it is worthwhile to discuss with her surgeon, though. In my case, I think I have just had it sooooo long, since I was 18 or 19, that it wasn't attributed to my weight, a hernia, or whatever...it's just the way it is, dammit. 

LAP RNY 10.21.13  Pounds lost by month: 1: 34 2: 25 3: 16 4: 12 5: 7 6: 18 7: 10 8: 8 9:15 10:10 11: 10  12:  Total so far: 190! pounds

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/12/15 5:53 pm

I did not have heartburn before RNY...but got it after. Ironic, no? 

Before RNY only some foods caused heartburn and it was very easy to avoid it. 

I had to take PPI (omeprozol) for 4-5 years post op. I am almost 7 years post op and i don't take them any more. But i keep them in the house because when i am under stress, i need to take them to avoid pouch irritation. 

Hopefully it is just temporary. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cspotrun
on 1/12/15 8:49 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Thanks! At least there is hope!

Karen   

RNY on 10/21/13

I feel your pain, literally!

I've had reflux for >20 years and was soooo hopeful that I would be in the 95% of people that were 'cured' of their reflux after surgery. Um, yeah, not so much. I am almost 15 months post surgery and have tried to go off of my PPI many times, the most recently being last month. Oh dear god, the agony!!! It was terrible and after a few days, I started back on them. :sigh: I've always been special, I guess this is no exception, huh?

Sorry you're in the same situation.

Hugs!

LAP RNY 10.21.13  Pounds lost by month: 1: 34 2: 25 3: 16 4: 12 5: 7 6: 18 7: 10 8: 8 9:15 10:10 11: 10  12:  Total so far: 190! pounds

cspotrun
on 1/12/15 11:54 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Thanks, same to you! I figure I'll try every 6 months or so. Can't hurt right? 

Karen   

Most Active
Recent Topics