6 years out, can I use birth control pills?

Amy K.
on 1/26/15 10:47 pm - Mankato, MN

I am going to the doctor today to have my Mirena removed (time's up!) but don't want to get another Mirena.  I am 6 years out. Are birth control pills still malabsorbed or is that only immediately postop that you can't take them?

Needanewbeginning
on 1/26/15 11:29 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

It's forever 😁

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Poodlemac
on 1/27/15 12:01 am, edited 1/27/15 12:01 am
RNY on 09/26/14
On January 27, 2015 at 7:29 AM Pacific Time, Needanewbeginning wrote:

It's forever 😁

Really???  Wow!  They're so tiny and have little or no taste, could she chew them or let them dissolve?  So glad I don't need BC, I wouldn't know what to do!

RubyJG
on 1/27/15 2:27 am

I'm 28, a nonsmoker, and had my surgery July of last year. I tried asking doctors and other practitioners as well as doing research about oral contraceptive use after RNY, but so far it seems that research and doctors can only speculate. The consensus is that you will likely experience SOME amount of malabsorption with oral contraceptives. Whether or not the amount that goes unabsorbed would actually cause a failure is another gamble. Think of it this way: a part of your intestines have been removed, and therefore food/drugs/nutrients pass through your system more quickly. Given that you only take one pill per day, you're limiting this pill's ability to absorb as it passes out of your system more quickly than for what it was designed. Some folks have had no issues and readily absorbed enough that they were protected, others have had unexpected pregnancies. It's a risk with many variables. Probably one you aren't willing to take. I am not either. I use nuvaring.

The nuvaring has gotten some critical press due to a vanity fair article written last year naming some lawsuits based on nuvaring not giving a full disclosure of the risk of blood clot. http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2014/01/nuvaring-lethal-contraceptive-trial

The risk of blood clots is around ~1.5% higher on nuvaring than it is on some older oral contraceptives despite having a lower dosage of estrogen. The reason for this (possibly?) is likely the second generation synthetic progesterone they use which is also used in several oral contraceptives like Yaz. Check out this article for more information: http://bedsider.org/features/315

Personal experience: increase in migraines (with no aura) around the end of my cycle. Other than that I've had no problems. I chose this method because I'm creeped out by IUD's, wanted some hormones as I've traditionally been irregular anyway, and this is something I could always remove and have control over if I didn't like it. It also bypasses intestinal absorption.

Discuss your family and risk factors for DVT, stroke and cardiovascular problems with your doctor and see if nuvaring is an option for you. 

"If you're going through hell, keep going."- Winston Churchill

Cathy W.
on 1/27/15 4:10 am

Shortly after my RNY, my surgeon's nurse practitioner put me on Depo-Provera injections.  Been on them for years without any problems.  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Navychic
on 1/27/15 4:11 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I just had my mirena put in two days ago...so looking forward to hopefully no more periods! 

But just wanted to comment on the nuva ring post above- it was an awesome option back when I used it back about 10 years ago for about 5yrs.  Low maint, and sooo much easier than BCP's.  May be a really good option for you...

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Poodlemac
on 1/27/15 4:57 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Years ago many of my coworkers started getting the depo shots. They were all maniacs with that shot!  They cried all the time, got acne and gained weight. Guessing they've made a lot of improvements!!  I could only do low dose BC pills, but they worked well for me. As I got older, I was stumped as to other choices. 

Mybratboys3
on 1/27/15 10:29 am

I've been on the pill from day 1 and my surgeon and ob/gyn BOTH said I'll be just fine. I'm not even 6 weeks out by the way.

lburrell
on 1/27/15 12:49 pm

I'm freaking out a bit here because this is the first I'm hearing about malabsorption and potential loss of effectivess of BC pills post surgery. I've heard nothing of this from the surgeon or nurses in my program. Can anyone point me resources about this? At 42 with no kids by choice...I do not want any surprises! 

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

JenniPenny
on 1/28/15 3:03 am - MN

Most post op patients are told by their doc to use "at least" 2 forms of birth control for the first year after surgery when hormones and weight loss are at their peak. My doc laughed when he said at least 2 forms. We are amazingly fertile (even those previously infertile) when we're in the losing phase. Blood tests will show if you're absorbing the birth control pills, if you need another form or brand, if the dosage needs to be increased or decreased or if it's working for you at all. Check with your doctor - make sure they know you have malabsorbtion issues. At 6 yrs out your absorbtion is probably almost what it was pre op- but check with your doc or gyno for a complete list of bc pills that work for us post op .

Jen RNY 2001

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?