Still learning

cspotrun
on 3/12/15 12:12 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I haven't had much trouble with food choices or portions.  I just follow the rules, which are simple and straightforward.  I do still find myself eating too fast though.  And then I feel so sick after.  Reminding myself just to slow down or putting my fork down doesn't seem to be enough. I find what works best for me is to take a few bites, then stop for a few minutes, then a few more bites, etc.  I can feel my full signals better then with the longer breaks.  But I still slip up sometimes.  I wonder if I'll ever get it.  

Karen   

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/12/15 9:42 pm

I am 7 years post op... I still eat too fast...but i often just stop before i eat too much...

I the trick for me is to really don't put too much food on my plate. I can always get more, but visually judging 1 cup or less, has been really helpful. I really measure my food once in a while for a few days to retrain myself. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cspotrun
on 3/12/15 9:54 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I do measure. I find that if I eat too fast I still get sick even if the portion size was ok. Does the food sit well with you even if you eat it quickly? I have a finicky pouch. 

Karen   

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/13/15 1:45 am

I do have finicky pouch. If the food is dense to very dense (chicken, steak)  - I need to chew very well so i do slow down.  or else.

but softer mushy foods (i.e fish) - the volume gets me if I eat too fast. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cspotrun
on 3/13/15 7:57 am
RNY on 07/01/14

gotcha, thanks for the advice!

Karen   

Grim_Traveller
on 3/12/15 9:56 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm the same as Hala. I eat a little too fast, but it only caused distress a couple of times early on. It never bothers me now because I also weigh everything, so avoid eating too much.

Early on, eating too much or too fast will make you feel really cruddy. Later on, it's usually just eating too much that will cause distress.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

cspotrun
on 3/12/15 11:54 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

O that's good to know! Thanks, Grim. 

Karen   

MyLady Heidi
on 3/13/15 12:38 am

I do not understand what eating too fast means?  Not chewing enough?  I chew all my food until it dissolves in my mouth and swallow.  I eat all my food at the same pace, never set down my fork or take breaks in between my bites other then what I would do naturally.  I do not force new rules on eating, the only thing I altered was making sure I chew everything completely.  I eat at a normal pace and always have.  I don't over eat because I pay close attention to portion size and my physical full signals. 

How are you getting sick?  The only thing that makes me sick is too much sugar and it really doesn't matter how fast or slow I eat it, if I eat it alone I will get sick.

Good Luck.

cspotrun
on 3/13/15 8:00 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I just get very nauseous and then feel something like intestinal distress and lightheaded.  I don't actually vomit.  I do measure my portions and don't exceed 3/4 cup food, or 3 ounces of dense protein.  I do chew well.  What I mean by eating fast is taking my next bite right after the one before.  When I eat my meal like that I feel awful after.  If I take breaks in between, like several minutes, then I don't feel sick.  My portions don't change.  But if I eat quickly the same portion makes me sick as when I really stretch out the meal and don't feel sick.  Hope that's more clear.  I can't eat sugar at all.  Seriously makes me ill.  Even fruit.

Karen   

MickeyDee
on 3/14/15 5:08 am

Eating too fast is definitely a "thing".  I find I still do that, and I attribute it to having to wolf down my meals at work for so many years.  

I remember an old tip from weigh****chers about putting your fork down between bites;  if you do well by taking breaks during your meal then that is probably a good solution for you.  

We all have to practice "mindfullness", so since you're attuned to what happens when you don't pay attention it sounds like you're doing that.

Most Active
Recent Topics